most trouble free model?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor V01

Reaction score
Looking to sell Trac and was wondering what year that Ford worked out most of the Sport Tracs problems? I have an 01 and am looking either for a newer 4x4, or will look at other brand trucks. I have not been too impressed with the 01 model. I have had many timing chain issues & rattles at start-up the dealer cant duplicate. Also are there any 2wd models that have posi traction? Thanks . Victor

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you have an '01 job1. From what I have read here, they fixed the timing chain issue in the '01 job2. If you don't wish to go with the new '07 then the '05 would be the last year of the original model. They did not make an '06. The rattles you are going to get on any vehicle that is six years old.

ScoTt

Mine is a job 2. Had many issues with chains. Rattles are during startup only. Sound is coming from lower front of vehicle.

05 is still too expensive. I was wondering if 03's have been pretty problem free? Thanks

I have an '03 and a few minor problems. Had the same "rattle on start-up" and was told by the dealer to use Motorcraft filters. Helped alittle, but I guess I'm used to it. Doesn't do it any other time, like when it's warmed up. Have the "whine from the alt. when cold out. Also used to it. Really, no other problems that couldn't be fixed by myself.;)

Sorry to hear that. I have a job 2 with 82k on it. No rattles or squeaks. I have replaced the sway bar links for sqeaks but it's all good now.

ScoTt

Hey,I got an '05,will part with it for $15,000.00:D 20,000 miles and no problems

I had a 2001 Job 1 and I only encountered a few of the gremlins in the first 3000 miles. My dealer fixed all the problems and I never had to take it back to the dealer. It was leased and I turned it back in with 42K trouble free miles on it.

I now have a 2003 model and only have about 25K miles on it and I have never had any problems with it and it only has been to the dealer once for a recall to check for a loose Evap Canister hose.

I think from 2003 and later, they got nearly all the bugs worked out.

...Rich

I think it is just luck of the draw, I had an 01 that was decent, then my 03 was the biggest piece of crap ever.

VictorV,

The timing chain rattle is an easy fix....seriously.

If you live close to Ohio, you could make a trip here when the weather gets warmer and can help you fix the problem.

FWIW, the 4.0L SOHC Engines have been run without timing chain tensioners by Ford and they have had no problems. The noise is an annoyance more than anything.

I am serious about helping you fix that problem. I just did it last weekend to my wife's 2000 Explorer. Took about 5 hours in a garage with a torpedo heater running trying to stay warm. While we were working on it, I cleaned the intake while my brother cleaned the intake ports.

The Explorer runs absolutly perfect, even though it now has 138,000 miles on it.

Tom