Motor GURUS: Need Help

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaRue Medlin

Reaction score
Rue has a 92 Civic and we are rebuilding his engine. We just got it back from being machined and have found 2 of the 6 holes use to bolt on the tranny are ?stripped? We bottom out the bolts and they will still turn. (not real free, but will still turn) We also re-tapped the holes, no fix it:eek: Question>>>>> Should we tap the hole 1 size larger and put in new bolts or use the backyard mechanic way and use loctite and thread sealer? If we re-tapped the hole, what would that entail? I told him not to touch this part until I get some answers from the pro's here.............;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Larue, first off, two bolts being striped is not a big deal AS LONG AS there are alignment pins. The pins will keep it all aliened and not allow the engine to twist laterally from the tranny.

However, since you have it to where you can get to it, I also suggest the Heli-Coil®.

If your not familiar with them, here is a picture of it as well as some details on how they work.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a video from Heli-Coil®.

Another vote for HeliCoil, exact same problem on a 79 VW rabbit, never had a problem with it.

I also vote for HeliCoils. They worked real well on the carb bolt threads on my aluminum W30 intake manifold.

Gary
:D

Helicoil. Cheap, quick, easy. Better than new when finished.

Alternative: Weld it shut with a TIG welder and re-drill and tap.

LaRue , come across the road,we can help with the helicoils ,I will be there today(Tue.),but not tomorrow(day off,going out for my 50th birthday--I feel old now!!).:)

Roy, where are your priorities? You are choosing going out on your 50th wedding anniversary over helping a friend drill holes and get dirty...

Man, what has the world come to????

Congrats on your 50, in todays world that is a MAJOR accomplishment...

Helicoils are great for quick repairs.

I personally would drill and tap it the next size...

Todd Z

Larue, if you drill and go up to the next size just make sure the new bolt will pass through the hole of the transmission. If not, simply drill the hole to a larger size on the tranny as long as there is enough support once the hole is larger.

Guess how I learned this..... Been there done that...