Motor Mount change

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie S

Reaction score
I have an 04 4.0L and I am wanting to change the motor mounts for a smoother ride. How do I know if my truck is a Gen 1 or Gen 2? how many are there, 3 right ie; driver, passenger and transmission? If anyone has some advice please let me know. TIA

2001-2005 is gen 1. 2007-2010 is gen 2. There is no 2006 Sporttrac. Not sure about motor mount locations as I am I still waiting for my shop manuals to arrive.

How will replacing motor mounts give you a "smoother" ride? If mounts are deteriorated or broken replace them.

Check for worn suspension parts and tires. Also body mounts that are known to fail on 2001-05 ST's. Good luck.

Steve, I agree. Bad motor mounts will not cause a bad ride.
They will only cause vibration and a possible clunk. If the left side is broken. The motor torque will lift the engine off the mount temporarily. I have had broken trans mounts cause a bad vib. None of this in my Trac though.
I don't remember any of our members having bad mounts.

Thanks Eddie. OP may be confusing motor mounts with body mounts. Hopefully she will return and reply.