Motorcraft oil filter

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Price 2

Reaction score
I always purchase my FL820S Motorcraft oil filter at Walmart. It's always been just under $4. I went in the other day to grab one and..oh no! There were only a few left and on the bottom shelf not where they have been for years. The entire shelf was filled with Purolator filters. Also, on the end of the of the isle were Bosch filters(didnt know they made filters and we ST owners know to stay away from there wires. They where VERY expensive btw). I have never seen either of those there before. Talked with the oldtimer(no offence to anyone) that is always there stocking and he told me they were no longer going to be stocking Motorcraft filters. (FYI..or SuperTech filters)(I think thats Walmarts brand?) I think the MC are $6 on Amazon. No big deal. But I liked being able to just pop in and grab one for $4.(and open the box and inspect it) Anywho, just thought that was interesting they where going with Puroltor. I know nothing of these filters. I'm just going to stock up or buy from Amazon I guess. Ive also always wanted to try WIX but never really had a reason to switch. Any thoughts on this Walmart change? or why they are not selling there Supertech brand filters any longer?(besides they prob suck) and what do you all use and how much do you pay? -Thanks for reading

A link provided by Shawn from 6/28/12 (Motorcraft FL-820S Cutaway Comparison)

Purolator is shown as the manufacturer of Motorcraft oil filters.

BTW, O'Reilly Auto Parts sells the Motorcraft FL-820s @ $3.99

Last edited by a moderator:
WIX is an excellent main-tier oil filter (same filter packaged as NAPA Gold). If you are extending your oil drains or just want the best filter available, go with AMSOIL. I've posted an article on oil and filter choices in the Maintenance section of Projects.

Rockauto, 5% coupon. A case delivered is $52.11 to my house. Like $4.34 each and I never left the house. I have 2 Fords that take that filter so I stock up. Oh and not to start a fight but just because Purolator makes filters for Ford doesn't mean that their branded filter is Ford OE quality. Ford specifies the makeup of their filters.

I wont use white classic purolators. But I have used the next level. yellow can purolator.

Imo, I wouldnt hesitate to use the one up level bosch.

For 8k to 10k extended oil changes. I will use K&N or Mobil 1.

I wonder why ford didnt stick to the larger FL-1A??

I wonder why ford didnt stick to the larger FL-1A??

I used that humongous filter in all three Ranchero's I owned.

IIRC, Steve M said the FL-1A was SAE thread vs. FL-820S metric.

Great links!(thanks STeve) and interesting read! @Vic I would love to try an Amsoil filter some day! +It would be nice to support a sponser.:supercool: I suppose this could be debated forever on quality/cost/change intervals. But, that carquest one seems nice too(+right down the road) A few more pleats and a little taller.....This was interesting "Probably the most important value here is the element surface area. This helps determine the amount of filter media that is available to trap particles. Cellulose media (basically paper) can trap fewer particles and can flow less oil per square inch because there are fewer passages through it. Synthetic media has more passages and can trap more particles and flow more oil than cellulose per square inch. For the same type of media, the smaller the area, the sooner the filter will become plugged and will end up bypassing much of the oil instead of filtering it. Some filters use a cellulose/synthetic blend, so a direct comparison is not possible. More pleats in the element does not necessarily mean more surface area (as you will soon see). In fact, too many pleats can end up restricting the flow too much because there is not enough space between them to allow oil to flow. Most of the cheaper filters use a mix that is mostly cellulose and/or cotton. Some of the better filters use synthetics or synthetic blends. There is no way of usefully-identifying the media types by visual inspection."........so basically personal preference... Be sure to buy one with the silicone valve/metal end caps/a step up to insure a quality material then its how often you change/what you believe to be the best for your application/and cost :grin:

I went to Wal Mart a few days ago to get the same as you, but the 820S was all gone. I remembered reading a review of oil filters a while back, complete with teardowns/cross sections/pleat counts/construction etc.

The Mopar filters were found to be comparable to the Mobil1 filters as far as construction goes, and Wal Mart carries the one that crosses over to the 820S. I have been using them for the past few changes (820S is rarely in stock @ my Wal Mart) and haven't had any issues.

Edit: Found a link to a site with cutaways

Latest posts