Mounting a ipod

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew Tollison 3

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a ipod and was wondering what all do I need to use it in my ST? Was also wondering how hard it is to install. Thanks for the help.

Andrew

Aftermarket head unit? You will need one if your radio isnt Ipod ready. I have an aftermarket head unit and i hooked the Ipod to the RCA inputs in the rear of the unit and it sounds great and all i had to get was a 99cent cable to hook it up sometimes you have to buy the $90+ adapter.

I still have the stock single cd player. I was wanting to use it that way. I have a aftermarket cdplayer in my 02 Explorer that is ipod /mp3 player ready.

I have an '01 Trac with the single-disc CD player, and I recently purchased the USA-Spec Ipod interface ($120) on www.crutchfield.com. I mounted the interface under the front passenger seat and ran the cable under the center console to the back of the factory radio. Then I drilled a hole in the side of my High-series console, ran the cord into that, and now that is where the Ipod lives.

The factory radio controls the ipod. Each playlist on the ipod is a separate "disc" on the "CD changer". It works out great once you figure it out.

It is a little more involved and expensive, but now I have Ipod quality sound (as opposed to those silly FM tuners or cassette adapters) and a hidden Ipod that probably won't be stolen out of my Trac - important in downtown Atlanta. Best alternative if you can swing it.

If you check my projects wrench, I have an article on hardmounting an iPod. If you like the mount, I'll sell it to you. :) I just took it off today because I am going in a different direction with audio.