MPG What yours secret?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 65037

Reaction score
I have a '04 sport trac and when either I am going threw town or going to work on the freeway I'll get 19 MPG City/Highway. Now I bought this truck used with 32k, but my question is, Is it possible that the computer setting etc on when to shift etc that makes my MPG stay the same? I thought about unplugging my battery for 30min to reset it and see but any suggestions before I do it? Besides getting after market parts which indeed do help some. Thanks

SAm

If you are getting 19mpg pretty much all the time, regardless the type of driving (city, highway, or a mix), then I would make several obersvations:

1. Be very glad. 19mpg city or mixed is VERY GOOD for any Sport Trac.

2. Maybe your highway driving isn't really as "highway" as you think.

What I mean by #2 is that the ST seems to get it's best gas mileage on true long hauls where you are at steady speeds on the highway averaging above 70mph speed. If you are driving around 55 mph, doing lots of passing, in heavy traffic that slows you down often, then your mpg goes down considerably.

Also, many people drive a highway in their daily commute, say 30 miles one way, but forget about the two or three miles getting to and from the highway on each end of their daily trip. It's not unreasonable to be two or three miles from the highway and that same distance from the highway to your job...that's around 5 miles of local driving, or about 14% of the 35 miles driven one-way....those aren't highway miles, but many often consider them such by lumping them into part of their daily commute.

TJR

I agree with TJR, be glad with the 19 for an average.

I am getting around 12.5mpg with 15 miles round trip with mostly city driving and not going over 40 for more than 2 miles.

I am counting my days to when i can get some Mods to get my mgp up

To embellish on TJRs' #2, long hauls means at least two hours of cruising along, I have a mileage computer in my F150 and around the 2 hour mark cruising on the highway at a steady speed is usually when it hits its' best mileage numbers for that tank of fuel.

19MPG would be sweet. I am leaving for Moab, UT Wed afternoon from STL and I am looking forward to my true highway mileage. But with 33" tires and 4:10 gearing how good it be:huh:

Chad

I do around 18/19 MPG to and from work and it is going up as it is getting warmer. Of that drive, 4 miles is city driving and the remaining 9 is highway. If I keep the speed at 55 MPH my scanguage will register a higher average mileage than if I run it at 70 MPH.

Actually about 3 MPG.

Tom

It's weird...for the first 38,000 miles, my 05 never got over 17 even with straight highway driving with cruise set. Then, it suddently started improving. I am now getting an average of 20 in my normal driving, got about 21.5 on a 300 mile highway trip.

That being said...I still may have to let it go sometime this summer. As much driving as I do even the improved mileage is really killing me when I am paying close to $3 per gallon. Everything else is up too and I have to decide which things I have to keep paying for and which ones to get rid of and get something more efficient.

Well to clear my Highway driving I mean I go about 88 miles a day 1 mile to the freeway 35 mph then 73-75 mph for 40miles then about 3 miles off the freeway to work 60-65 mph and reverse :D

Sam, so as I said, you are getting almost 20mpg with mostly highway driving. That's good. I suspect if a majority of your driving is highway like you describe, that's why you are averaging around 19mpg. That's a VERY good mileage rate.

TJR

Ah yeah TJR, I was just thinking I might possibly be in the 20's range and which I hope after I do some OT for so cash for cold intanke, Tb, etc. Anyways thanks for all your guys help and opinions :)

SAm