Multiple attempts needed to start when engine is warm. 2003 ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Mc

Reaction score
Issue arises when starting engine when its still warm " Not Hot". Generally 1-2 hour period. It normally take 3 attempts turning engine over for it to start up. Sometimes it sounds like it's trying to start but stutters and cuts off. When I turn key to start engine the starter turns the engine and when it doesn't start the starter kicks out requiring me to turn key off and attempt to start engine again. The 3rd attempt normally starts the engine.
NOTE :
*Engine starts up 1st time when cold even in different outside temps from 20 degrees - 80 degrees.
*Engine also starts up 1st attempt when still hot 15 minutes to 45 minutes.

Needing some ideas on what could be the cause?
Engine has no active codes. It has a New fuel filter. It has No hesitation during acceleration or idling.
Any and all suggestions would be appreciated !

Last edited:
Carry a can a StarterSpray; after the engine has run then sat for an ~hour,
put some StarterSpray up the IntakeAirAccordionTube;
if it starts right up, then you've likely got a fuel delivery issue.
For good measure, I'd clean & lube the IntakeAirControl\IACValve.

I had the same issue with my 2005. I changed the fuel filter and then cleaned the MAF sensor and air intake. I prefer the CRC products for the cleaning. I recommend replacing the air filter along with this step. Ensure the battery is disconnected to wipe out the old ECU settings since you want it to relearn the new settings after cleaning.

Clean TB and replace IAC... also try 1/4 throttle trick and fuel pump prime trick .,

Carry a can a StarterSpray; after the engine has run then sat for an ~hour,
put some StarterSpray up the IntakeAirAccordionTube;
if it starts right up, then you've likely got a fuel delivery issue.
For good measure, I'd clean & lube the IntakeAirControl\IACValve.
Thanks for help. Will be getting into suggestions this afternoon.

I had the same issue with my 2005. I changed the fuel filter and then cleaned the MAF sensor and air intake. I prefer the CRC products for the cleaning. I recommend replacing the air filter along with this step. Ensure the battery is disconnected to wipe out the old ECU settings since you want it to relearn the new settings after cleaning.
Thanks ! Great info getting into it this afternoon !

Thanks ! Great info getting into it this afternoon !
Ok. After several different attempts it still does same thing.
New IAC , cleaned throttle body , disconnected Battery for several hours .
First day or two making several trips it seemed to fix the issue. Then about a week later it started not cranking in first crank again then second now it’s back to starting on 3rd attempt. Only when it’s engine is warm. First crank of day in Warm or cool outside temps it fires right up. I’ve tried the 1/3- 1/2 throttle foot feed attempt with mixed response.
it always cranks but just not the same way when it’s warm.
any thoughts ??
Thanks
D

You said "no active codes" in your OP. Does this still apply, and have you scanned recently? BTW, the check engine light does NOT have to be lit to have stored codes in memory. Keep us posted.

Latest posts