My bad.....Fram/ BTW K&N at Walmart now

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
Silly me, I thought going with a name brand meant quality. Well thanks to this forum I'm starting to learn to research EVERYTHING. I have been faithfully doing oil changes every 3K using Fram Extraguard and Pennzoil. I almost tossed my cookies when I read about Fram filters hear. That was yesterday and today I already instead the K&N air filter and I'm waiting for the engine to cool a bit before I replace the oil and filter. Only have about 1K on it but after reading the article I want everything orange out of there!

Of course after installing the K&M I went to Walmart to get the Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 (yes I'm switching) and noticed they had them for about $12 cheaper. I thought you were suppose to get smarter with age.

Any problem with Prestone, just did that last week.

Man, you worry too much.

If your changing your oil and filter on a regular basis, I don't think you need to use a specific type of oil filter.

I used the Fram brand in my old truck and it ran great even after 158K miles.

Just my opinion - but you have to do what you believe is best

I can cut you slack, I've not seen K&N's at my local Wal-Mart so I wouldn't have thought to look for them there. Motorcraft filter and Mobil 1 is a great combo though. K&N and Mobil 1 filters are great too but I don't know that they're worth 4 times the price of a Motorcraft.

Thanks John,

As luck (bad) would have it I replaced my original air filter at about 25K with a Fram which that Allied Signal engineer confirmed as crap.

For those that want , hear is that link

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html#fram

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't read any bad reports of Fram Air filters, just the oil filters. I still use Fram Air Filters in my daughter's cars with no problems.

In all fairness, after taking out the Fram air filter, the intake side of the airbox was spotless. Took a white paper towel to it and not a speck of dirt.