My Drivetrain Misfortune

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curtis F

Reaction score
I bought a 2003 4x2 brand new. Drove it for 230k miles with no major issues. It was totaled in an accident but I had enjoyed driving my truck so much that I bought a 2005 4x4 from Carmax with about 100k miles because of that great experience I had with my original truck. I just wanted to get 100k miles out of it with no issues. Things were going well for about the first year until the timing chain decided to jump a couple of teeth trashing the engine. I had never read of that problem on here until I went actively searching for it. Great! So $5500 later and a reman engine and I'm back on the road. Fast forward to almost two years to the day and the transmission starts acting funny. RPMs running up when putting it in gear from a standstill before in engaging and in a few instances making some not so good noises after it does. Put it in the shop and low behold, the transmission is shot and too far gone to rebuild. A reman unit will run another $5500.

I guess I'm honestly writing this to vent as I'm extremely frustrated. Over $10k in less than two years. This was my first used car ever and I thought I had done everything to ensure it was a good purchase especially given my original experience and my comfort level with the truck in terms of what it required. I'm just beside myself at this point....

PO of my 08 had put in a new transmission @ 56K 2 years ago. Truck has 63K on it now

his invoice for work booked at 8.2 hours @ $87.50 = $717.50

Reman trans with transferable (No Fault Gold Warranty) 3 years unlimited mileage Plus labor up to $95 and $25 fluid allowance,, cost PO $2,600.00

shop owner states reman came out of Washington.

another $40 for fluids, shop supplies, and waste disposal..

Invoice also states - Regardless of reason for failure on first time replacement. First time replacement is FREE.

Your costs seem a bit high to me

was a bit dubious of buying Sport Trac due to transmission problems I had read about, but it seems all other makes have their achilles heel.. cost by design imho.

Latest posts