My First Major Owie and TPMS

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Koonce

Reaction score
Last night I was driving home when I came up on a snow plow. In most places, you're supposed to keep your distance behind a plow, for safety ant to keep from being pelted by rock salt. So I decided to turn into my complex using the back entrance.

Normally I don't use the back entrance (especially in bad weather) because it's deceptively flat surface gives a nasty buckboard ride on the way in. But aside from the ride, it's OK. In the snow, turning in brings protests from the front end, but a kick of the throttle and I grease it in every time.

Until now.

This time I had to stop for an idiot who was driving way too fast in the opposite direction (it's a left turn for me). When the coast was clear, I crept ahead, made my turn, and found myself sliding helplessly towards the curb. I smacked it good with my right front wheel, drove a few feet, then noticed my "Low Tire Pressure" warning. Swell.

I got out and inspected the wheel and tire--nothing obviously wrong to my eyesight. My tire pressure gauge showed only 20 PSI in the RF tire, while all others were exactly 35. I pulled it into my garage, gave it an hour and went back to measure again. This time the wounded tire had 22 PSI! Hours later it still held at 22 PSI.

When I finally had to go somewhere, I added enough air to match the other tires, said a prayer and went out into the night. So far, so good.

What I'm concerned about is that the TPMS came on strong right after the collision. And it failed to stop warning me for a long time after my Autometer gauge read a solid 35 PSI. Is this normal?

Maybe the tire seperated for just long enough to let the 13 pounds to get out then re-sealed when the truck rebounded from the slight collision?

Thanks guys, that's what I'm hoping. I see very little curb rash and no other visible damage to the wheel. no signs of damage to the tire itself, and the pressure continues to hold.

The problem is that I'm never this lucky. :sad:

The incident reminded me of that tire inflation chart that I saw that if your garage is x degrees and you're going out into y degrees, to inflate your tires to z PSI. On these single-digit mornings, I should be starting with 40 PSI so I have 30 PSI by the end of my trip.

Latest posts