My install

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam Yee

Reaction score
Hey guys,

just to show what you can do.. here is my install.. the alpine amp is no more and in that place now is 2 huge mtx amps.. 1 mxa-6004 and 1 mxa-8001 and the jl 8w0's are now 8w3's

its too dark out here to take good pics of the install now and my ps2 install... once i get a chance to take some pics during the day i'll post'em

sorry about the huge pics..;)

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Adam!!! Great install man! I use to be into great detail but i just don't have the time like i use to. But i have to say man that does look great!!!!!:cool:

Adam,

does the seat sit back into its original position? How does it sound with the sub pressed against the back of the seat?

Jason

Hey Jason,

Yes the seat does sit all the way back with no problems.. i measured so that I would have a half inch clearance between the box and the seats. The subs don't touch the seats at all as they are counter sunk into the box.. this allows for the subs to hit maximum excursion without and interference. I ported the box to assist in the air movement... the box is ported on the passenger side of the box.

I was quite limited in the choice of subs when installing them back there.. too much magnet depth = deeper box = subs hitting seat. the JL's worked perfect... so will kicker comps and a few others. The sound is amazing.. the box is tuned to peak at 32Hz which is low for 8's but this gives me a strong bandwidth between 35 and 80Hz which is perfect for all music types.

Adam,

You wouldn't happen to have the spec for your enclosure would you, I too have 2 8"w3's. I was going to remove the legs from the back seat and build a ported box for the two 8's to go under the seat.

Jason

It was a while ago that I used the program to spec out the box.. but if I had to guess for two 8w3's in a ported enclosure you would need a box that is 1.5 cu ft. with a port that is 3" in diameter and 8.75"-10" long

Is that MDF you used to build the box? Looks really nice.

Yes it is 3/4" MDF on the front and top, the rest is fiberglass to get that extra bit of air space and clearance for the sub mounting depth. It's all vinyl wrapped and dyed to match the color of the interior

Last edited by a moderator:
looks awesome man, what did you use to cover the box with? where did you get the material (vinyl?) and how did you apply it?

what is the amp rack made out of ?

I used vinyl to cover the box.. you should be able to get a good strechy one from any upholstery shop or custom interior shop. You apply it with spray glue and a heat gun, same as carpeting a box.. then i got a interior vinyl match spray paint from a body shop supplies store. The amp rack is made from 1/8" and 1/4" mdf.. its just a frame piece.

how much did all that run up. just for the box. i was thinking on doing the same thing. it looks damn nice. you probably could sells those and make a bit of money out of it. i would pay for one.

:)Hey guys,

Not sure if i'm up to building more... it was hard enough to build that one. It cost me about 60 CAD in materials to build it. The labor was myself... if you were to have a shop build something like what I have it would probably run you close to around 500cad.

ask me again in the spring.. out here in Calgary its cold now and to do fiberglass work in freezing weather is never a good idea.

Latest posts