My new ST

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan Tremblay

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and I am the proud new owner of a 2004 ST. I traded in my 1996 Ford Explorer with 165K for this 2004 ST with 33K miles. It was a great trade. I was a little torn on whether to get another explorer (since I loved my old one so much) or to get a ST. Well, I definately made the right decision going with the ST. It is exactly what I wanted.

I do have one question though, I know that there are there different packages of Sport Tracs. How do I know which edition I have and what are the differences between the three? I have cloth seats, power everything, factory toneau cover, middle armrest with the removable pouch as the console, the leather wrapped steering wheel and the fog lamps.

Anyway, just wanted to say hello and that I hope I will get a chance to get involved a little more on the forum. I have already read a little and have gotten some great information.

Here is my new ST.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
It appears that you have the standard xlt. the xlt premium '04 comes with painted to match bumpers and body clading.

edit; Welcome to a great site..

Let me get this straight, you traded a 96 Ford Explorer with 165K for this 2004 ST with 33K? Either the Explorer must have been made out of gold or your a real slick dealer. Next time I go out and look at vehicles, I want to take you with me. :)

CONGRATS AND WELCOME !!!!

Todd Z

Congrats on your new Trac! It appears to be an XLT as someone has already said, so it automatically has the convenience package, which, I think contained the leather wheel among other things in 2004. Since you have fogs, step rails, and the bigger wheels/tires, it has the sport package option. Since you have the bag armrest instead of the floor console, it does not have the comfort package option, which also included an overhead console with compass and outside temp. The tonneau cover was an option on all STs, whether XLS or XLT.

I think the XLS could have the convenience group as an option, but not the sport or comfort groups. As Fast Eddie said, the gray cladding on yours eliminates it as a premium, but its sport package points to its being an XLT.

Does the 04 ST have problems with the Tranny? Is that why you are saying save money for the rebuilt one? I have never heard of the 04 ST or Explorers having problems with the Tranny.

All Gen1 ST's have had Tranny issues that im aware of.

It doesn't affect all trannys, I love my ST despite my tranny issue, its more of a joke than a peice of advice. If you EVER experience the blinking OD light, and/or flaring from 2nd to 3rd gear get it into the shop ASAP, if you leave it, it will cost you $2K, if you get it looked at ASAP, it should only cost a few hundred.