My recent Sport Trac purchase experence

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave McKie

Reaction score
I just recently bought a 2002, 2wd, Yellow Pioneer Edition Sport Trac. I live in Edmonton, Alberta.

I also drive a 1990 Honda Accord which is still I still drive to work daily. I owned my Accord for 7 years mostly trouble free till a few months ago. It seemed that after I hit the 200,000 Kilometers mark things started to go wrong and it left my wife stranded two times in one month.

That sent me on a search for a newer vehicle. While walking through a dealership I notice a 2007

adrenaline edition Sport Trac. This was the first time I really noticed a Sport Trac. Must has seen them before but never really took notice of how sweet they look. they were asking 30 grand for this ride and I kept walking, thinking that I could never afford a ride like that.

After a few test rides, 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe 11,000, 2003 Kia Sorrento with a warranty, and a few other that I just looked at.

Then driving by a ford dealer in Edmonton I notice a yellow Sport Trac and went in for a closer look. they were asking 13,900, it had 113,000 kilometers on it. It was in excellent shape,good tires, and coated with a 1/4 inch standard layer of armorall.:angry: and it was smelling of strawberry's. I never in my life purchased a vehicle for a dealership in my life. so this was a new experience for me. the salesman was a former mechanic and drove a Jeep grand Cherokee:wacko: " I had to ask him".So I took it for a test drive. I brought it home to show the family and they all loved it. I finally shook on a deal for 12.999.00 + Gst 6% $779.40=$13,769.40

After a month with this vehicle I really like it.

Here,s my dealer experience. I sent this letter to the dealership.( No Response )

Attn: Customer Service

I would like to take this opportunity to relay purchase experience with your pre owned vehicle dept. Last week I purchased a 2002 Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

The deal went very well and your used vehicle staff were courteous and friendly. After the bill of sale was signed I was to take possession Friday Aug 17.

The bill of sale states FILL TANK and when I went to pick up the vehicle it only had an 1/2 tank of fuel. I then went straight to a gas station thinking the fuel gauge was malfunctioning and ended up putting $ 41.00 to fill the tank. I mentioned to the salesman that they only gave me 1/2 tank of gas, that’s when the manager said they normally don't fill used vehicles after the sale. I then told him that it stated FILL TANK on the bill of sale.

I had asked the salesman if the car had to two keys and he assured there was. Upon picking up the vehicle the sales man said their was only one key.

I asked if there was anything that he could do for me he said that they could book it in to the service dept and would only charge me cost on the key.

I called the salesman and he said that he had made an appointment for Friday the 24 @ 8:00. After arriving at the service dept Friday morning the service dept said they had no record of the booking. I explained to the service manager that the pre-owned dept was going to charge me cost on the key. He doubted my remark and said he would contact the used vehicle dept. When I arrived to pick up my vehicle the cost of making a new key was $121.00, they said they gave me a deal with that cost.

The charge was 25.00 for the key and the rest was labour. If the salesman said I would pay "cost" for the key why did I have to pay labour ?

I also needed the keyless access code for unlocking the door and the service dept quoted me $ 130.00 for the code. ("Thanks" $ 130.00 for a code that could of pulled when they had it hooked up to the computer while making the key). You would think that a key code would be part of customer service not another way of gouging the customer.

So the way I see it you owe me: $ 96.00 refund on the labour charges and $41.00 for the cost of the fuel I did not receive. For a total o

Last edited by a moderator:
Dosman:

Do A search on this site for "KEYLESS ENTRY CODE by NICK" and they tell you where to find the code. Sounds fairly easy! Also, if you want a third key, you can program one if you have 2 keys. If not, it costs a small fortune at a dealer to get one made & programmed.

From time to time a member named LaRue offers them at a good price. He has a key/lock shop in the Carolina's. He cuts them and then you can use your other two keys to program them with. That way if you lose one, you'll still have two keys and won't be at the mercy of the dealership.

It also sounds like I'd find a different dealer if they're this bad right off the bat. By the way, nice looking Sport Trac.

Gary

Hey Dosman, if you don't mind me asking which dealership was it you dealt with? I want to avoid them when I buy my next Ford, I'm also from the Edmonton area, have a 2001 Trac with 176,000 on it. bought at mayfield toyota. had good service from there.

Healy Ford

I will say that for only a few bucks they could of gained a valuable customer. When your searching for a used vehicle it's very difficult to find a private sale. I tried to purchase a vehicle privately but in Edmonton they get snapped up in no time or they are asking top dollar.

Geddes, how has your SP been for ya ? any serious issues?

Thanks

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur with gARY g. Very nice looking ST. I saw a Zinc Yellow one on I-5 in Sacramento, CA around 6:30 pm PST. That would look very nice debadged (taking the Explorer letters off with dental floss and a hair dryer using just enough heat to soften the glue on the back of the chrome letter).

There are a few things that need to be done that don't cost a arm & a leg. Replace the front sway bar end links with ones from AutoZone, CarQuest, or what ever they have in your area ($30 U.S.); just make sure that the box has MOOG part nos. on it or says MOOG on the plastic wrap. The MOOG Problem Solver end link part no. is K7275. Also, upgrade your shocks if they have not already been upgraded.

Looking good, Congrats on the truck and welcome to the site !!!!!!

Todd Z

Looks like your left rear tire is a couple of pounds low. :rolleyes:

Although I probably wouldn't worry about the gas if I got a decent deal, I would be pissed about the key thing. Every vehicle should come with 2 keys, regardless if it's new or used. I would definitely demand my money back for the extra key.

Welcome to the site Dosman. Nice looking Trac.

Very clean looking Trac. I have purchased my last 3 vehicles including my Trac at 3 different dealerships. At 2 of them the service stopped as soon as i signed the papers. My best experience was at a Lithia Ford here in Eastern Washington. They even remembered me when I came in to shop for my Trac. Unfortunately they didnt have what i was looking for.