My STA's Radar Countermeasure Setup

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carey Frennier

Reaction score
Since installing all this stuff, I've encountered only Ka Band Instant On Radar.

This type of radar is IMPOSSIBLE to counter unless you have a "rabbit (someone speeding ahead of you)" to get "sprayed" first. Then you're countermeasures can pick up enough to give you some measure of reaction time.

I really like the arrows that tell you where the radar is coming from. It also has a bogey counter that I find exceptionally useful. I pretty much cross off any alerts that show more than 2 bogeys.

The detection range and off axis with the Valentine 1 V3.892 is actually pretty good. It would be better if mounted higher. If you didn't care for the arrows...I'd buy a completely different system. Probably a Beltronics STi-R Plus. That system even comes with it's own laser jammers. They are proven less effective than the Laser Interceptors I have now but...I've not been hit with laser on my dailey driving yet...

I will probably never invest money in anything more than a radar detector. I currently have laser jammers that are not installed yet. I've never been hit with laser in upstate NY but I know they use it.

So my advice to anyone looking to sneak their way past speeding tickets is: just slow down because there is no way out of a laser I/O or K-Ka band I/O.

The unit looks like it's off but it has a concealed display on my gauge cluster that shows me everything. This way, other's are not leeching of my investment by watching my RD while I'm driving. The best spot for this would be above the mirror but I couldn't fit it there or to either side and be able to use my visors. Since I don't speed that much...I opted for the slightly reduced performance and full visor utility.

[Broken External Image]:

This is the concealed display. I love it except for two small issues. It's not as ergonomic as just having the info displayed under the mirror and at night, I can't see what band it's alerting me on.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to replace my cutout operation switch with the kill switch for my laser jammers. I think I'm going to put a kill switch in for the radar detector and a remote mute switch for the radar detector also.

The Green is the radar kill and the red is the radar mute.

And yes...I'm going to clean my truck!

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
After all this crap is done (got it for free) I'm going to knock the drop springs out of the way and then do something with the headlights and I'm done. I'm so tired of messing with this truck.

Latest posts