My thoughts after driving for 2 weeks.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian K 2

Reaction score
Ok been driving my 04 for 2 weeks. I had 2 Rangers prior too. The truck as a whole drives nice. From outside the 4.0L sounds a little like a sewing machine, compared to my Ranger 4.0L. Power is adequate, not as quick as my Ranger. The truck is comfy. I may be getting a bit older but I find the Audiophile stock system loud enough. I had almost 800 watts in the Ranger and it rocked. The handling/suspension is a a tad squishy but again I must be getting older because I haven't ripped anything out and replaced it yet. Maybe I am trying to get over having a car payment again.:eek: My biggest complaints would be the outside wind noise and lack of throttle. I can't imagine even a hair bigger sized tire when it comes time (stock 16" 265's I think-/4.10 LS rear) However the throttle also easily affords me over 20 MPG on the highway.

All in all the truck is nice, fun to drive. I haven't smoked in it yet so i figure I am saving 6-10 cigs a day, better health.:D last weeks tank was 19.3 MPG and was 40% city driving.....62-64 MPH highway....I'll keep you posted cause I like tracking things like that...B-

Glad you like it. ST's are cooool! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad you like it.

And I agree with Big D

Remember the st is almost 1,000 lbs heavier than your old rangers...

My 4wd is 5100 LBS !!!!

Todd Z

Ok How much we talkin for the X-cal2? Dealer be able to tell...ie. void warranty.

Wait I remember.......just chattin about this stuff....this is how it ALL starts. 6 months from now......I'll be macked out and 3-5K more poor....:lol:

I owned two Rangers previously also. The first think I noticed in the Trac was how much better the seats were. The Trac rides better also, but I've since upgraded the shocks as many people here have done. The stockers get real squishy real fast. My last Ranger had the Off-Road Package and frankly rode TOO hard, even for me. It beat the snot out of me on a daily basis and got to be very tiring to drive. Smooth roads in western PA are but a rumor.

Johnny - Are you comparing the Ranger to the 07 ST or the previous model?

Previous, I have an '05 Trac. Prior to that I had an '02 Ranger Off-Road. My first Ranger was a '99 XLT 4x4, standard suspension, that was demolished when someone ran a stop sign and T-boned me (hard) in the driver's door. I still had a goose egg on the side of my head from the accident when I hit a ripple on a brick street in my new '02 and it was so stiff that I smacked my head on the door pillar in the same spot as the accident. I literally saw stars.

Latest posts