My Trac is back. . .

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Collin Lyon

Reaction score
I actually got the Trac back a few weeks ago, after spending 2 months at the dealer because of the clicking/ticking noise. I was holding off on this story until I got my "compensation" package from the dealer.

The tag-team of my local dealer and Ford back in MI was convinced it was either the transfer case &/or transmission. After replacing the transfer case (3x) and transmission (1x), the problem wound up being a "rubber grommet" at the bottom of the gear shift was loose and came off. After a couple of Ford engeineers examined the problem, it took a diiferent engineer to look at this from a different angle. He said "the customer hears this from inside the truck, so let's look inside the truck". The gearshift box was removed, and they saw the grommet sitting loose at the bottom. I was told the grommet keeps the outside noise from coming in - kinda like a silencer on a gun. The sound came thru this opening from ouside, and amplified thru the gearshift area. Took all of 20 minutes to fix it. Now it drives like it should -- QUIET.

I did entertain using a lemon law lawyer regarding this, but the lawyer said I would have to eat a "usage fee" of nearly $2000 because it was not "documented" for the first 7K miles (appx) whether I cashed in my Trac, or Ford replaced with a new Trac. Since Ford was paying my monthly Trac payment, and the dealer/Ford was paying for my loaner, I told the lawyer to basically stuff it. I'll wait 'til Ford makes an offer - then it will be on MY terms.

These guys had to have spent at least $10K - $12K (parts, time, resources, etc.) to get this resolved. Anyway, I got my Trac back with a new transmission & transfer case.

So, if anyone with any annoying noises that you can't figure out -- check your grommets.

at least it is fixed and your happy again...

Todd Z

Unfortunatly, mechanics anymore are just R&R guys. (Remove and Replace) Diagnostics are just about a thing of the past. Unfortunatly, some guys are unable to actually listen to the customer complaints and go from there.

Tom

I second Caymen. I call them technicians, not mechanics. The read the manual and replace if necessary.

Yeah Todd - main thing is that I got my Trac back. Having Ford pay my last 2 payments numbs the sting a bit. You'd think they'd use a little more common sense regarding these things. I kept telling them I heard it from the inside. No way it was the transfer case / transmission. But hey, if they want to give me new ones . . .

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I find with most shops that swap stuff out. They never put all the screws, bolts and wire ties back. You always find stuff loose or hanging in the wrong place.