My turn to plug the XCal2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
I went through my first gas fill-up after using an XCal2. I usually get around 16.5mpg out of each tank, maybe 16.7 if I grandma it. But today I came up with 17.67mpg! That's a very good bonus next to how much better my Trac takes off from the line without having to mash the pedal. The regular octane performance program Wayne set me up with is really cool. I'm really surprised I got 17.67mpg because I've been driving pretty aggressively on this tank.

Wayne's service was excellent. He stayed on top of things after I had to send my first unit back because it wouldn't flash and his status updates kept my initial disappointment at bay. Now, it's all water under the bridge and I expect nothing but even more fun and efficient driving from here on out. My ST driving experience just went up another notch!

Cool deal, we knew you would like it..

Todd Z

'bout time you guys got on board. Larry, when are the EE side steps goin on? I really can't wait to see the way it looks with them on there.

Wow, couldn't even make it through TWO whole days without wanting the improved power and shift quality of the Xcal eh Larry? hehe

I was thinking on the way home just how much more solid my shifts were than they were before the XCal. I still say that's the BEST investment someone with a 'Trac can make. The stock shifts on the transmission really suck.

I also think you're going to re-do the picture in your signature there to reflect the wheels and suspension kit that you have on your 'Trac. You can add all kinds of tire smoke after you add that supercharger. ;)

I have a question and no offense against Wayne's business but I am not understanding how this Xcal programmer works. My question is why isn't just one person or business buying one of these things and programming everyones vehicle either for free as a friend or for a charge as a business. Why is every individual purchasing a programmer? Are these programmers somehow tuned to a specific vehicle by VIN number or some other computer code specific thing I don't know about?

I have a question and no offense against Wayne's business but I am not understanding how this Xcal programmer works. My question is why isn't just one person or business buying one of these things and programming everyones vehicle either for free as a friend or for a charge as a business. Why is every individual purchasing a programmer? Are these programmers somehow tuned to a specific vehicle by VIN number or some other computer code specific thing I don't know about?

Me,

You answered your own question. When you connect the flasher to your own vehicle, it downloads your stock program and uploads the modified program. If you tried to hook up a buddy's vehicle, it won't let you unless you upload your old program.

Wayne can explain it better then I can.

I am sure Superchips knew when they designed the first tuner, something like that could happen. They made sure it wouldn't.

Tom

Each system is at least PCM code dependant. If you look at your computer in the engine bay (firewall, passenger side) There is a sticker with the PCM code. Also, as Caymen said, it downloads your stock program in place of the performance tune being loaded into the ST's ECC which would make it VIN dependant. This was one of the issues that myself, Rodger and TRACket Paul were discussing in Dallas.

Me:

Just for the fact of keeping other people like Me (you) (Him, That Guy, Whatever...)

from ripping off proprietary programs that other people have worked hard to

develop and market honestly.

Next Question...;)

Sam,

e-mail Wayne Foy at [email protected]. Or, go to his web site at the link below. Be patient, he may not respond right away, as he and his wife just had a baby boy this week. But rest assured he'll answer all of your questions. Everyone at this site will testify to the fact that Wayne's a stand-up guy and runs a great business.

There is another person who does these tunes as well, however, some people don't have quite as much faith in his work. I am currently running one of his tunes, and it's not bad. The truck idles a bit slowly, but that could be to keep the boost from kicking in when the truck is idling. There may be a perfectly logical reason to have a lower idle RPM, I'm not an expert, so I can't second-guess what he's done. I am preparing to have wayne re-do my tune, just to make sure I am getting every ounce of power that I can. I will let everyone know if there's any difference between the two. The other person who does the tunes is Doug over at bamachips. I'll put the link at the bottom of the message. It's up to you who you get your tune from, but I have never read or heard a single negative thing about Wayne's tunes.

I have said many times that the SCT-X is the single best investment you can make with your 'trac. The improved transmission function ALONE is enough of a reason to use it. The added power and/or mileage is just a huge bonus. The shifts on my stock 'trac took as much of a half second to shift from one gear to the next. After the sct-x, the shifts are instant, but not harsh. They are, in my opinion, perfect.

Also keep in mind that Wayne is a sponsor of this site. Giving site sponsors your business helps keep this great web site free for all of us!:D

Yep, sponsors RULE! :)

We really don't thank our sponsors as often as we should. They're responsible for keeping this site up and FREE. It wouldn't be possible for all the great help and chat we get here at the forums if it wasn't for both the sponsors and the designers of this site.

The reason I got my main tune from bamachips is because it came "free" with the supercharger. I probably would have gone with Wayne's tune if I didn't have a supercharger. It's important to support our sponsors because they support us.