My Weekend Adventure

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny O

Reaction score
Went to Watertown, NY over the weekend to visit my kids. Drove through a bit of snow :lol: on the way down I-81 on Sunday, then I-90 west from Syracuse looked pretty clear so I went the usual way. Get to the west side of Buffalo and the toll booths are blocked and I-90 is shut down, although it wasn't snowing right there. Tried Rt. 16 south to I-86 but after about 10 miles it was snowing so hard you simply could not see. Virtual white-out. 4wd is great but the problem is you don't know where the road is. Could barely see past the end of the hood of my truck. Turned around in the parking lot of a bar (it was open...it's Super Bowl Sunday after all :lol: ). Go back to I-90, head back east toward Rochester, NY. Bag the idea of getting home, got some dinner, watch the Super Bowl in the Red Roof Inn. Get up Monday morning, wind chill is -19*, I kid you not. Take I-390 south to US 15 through NY to Harrisburg, PA, then the PA Turnpike home. Roughly an extra 400 miles on the trip. Wind was so bad that the mpg was awful. Half a tank from Syracuse to Buffalo, about double what it usually takes.

Some pics for the Sunbelt Trac'ers.

Shot of the Trac from my hotel room Sunday morning. The night before there was no snow.

[Broken External Image]:

Gas stop near Syracuse. The wife is wondering why I'm out in the cold taking pics.

[Broken External Image]:

Home. Since the truck is silver it's hard here to fully appreciate the amount of salt crust on it.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Through it all, the Trac never whimpered. Driving 65-70 mph where the wind chill was already -19* and getting buffeted around by high winds. Shifting in and out of 4wd for the snowy patches at slower speeds on the highway. Through the ex-wife's driveway in snow over a foot deep, no problem. Behind a plow south of Buffalo, traction was fine, I just couldn't see a darn thing (seriously). Love my REVO's, love my limited-slip. The Trac suffered only a burned-out headlight and three broken tonneau snaps when I tried to rearrange some things in the bed. They were frozen solid. I never did get it open.

Watching the Weather Channel last night, they're saying that Hamburg, NY, west of Buffalo, got three FEET of snow on Sunday and they're doing a live report from Parish, NY on I-81 (home of The Grist Mill truck stop and restaurant, really good breakfasts) that I drove through where last night they're getting 6"-7" of snow PER HOUR. Not too much snow here at home, just really really cold. Current wind chill is -11*.

No snow here, SUCKS !!!...

Looked fun, cool deal. !!!!

Todd Z

Since the truck is silver it's hard here to fully appreciate the amount of salt crust on it.

I wouldn't appreciate any salt crust no matter the color of my Trac, thank you very much. I love L.A. (in this case).

What happened to global warming...

Living where I live, I'm all in favor of it. I figure it's going to be something wherever you're at though. Crappy weather makes me miserable but if I was in FL it'd be hurricanes, in CA it'd be earthquakes and mudslides, in TX it'd be tornados. In western PA we average one tornado every 20 years (I'm 46 and been here for both) and if the river ever floods up to my house, then it's way past time to build an Ark and load the animals.

I usually lease a new rig every 3 years but I did get the Trac undercoated in case I decide to buy it when the lease is up.