My wife's Saturn

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Alcaro

Reaction score
My wife has a 1999 Saturn with 31k miles and it now needs some exhaust work.

I was told by the local Caddy/Olds/Chevy dealer who said there is a resonator leak. They can get the kit from Saturn and remove the old and replace with the new the resonator for $450. My question is: What's a resonator and is this a fair price?

Thanks in advance, responses will be much appreciated.

Bob

A vehicle that is 9 years old and you go to the dealer for exhaust work?

A resonator is a type of muffler, but different. It is hard to explain, but in the end, it is not needed. It essentially eliminates a tone that the muffler doesn't. You could cut the resonator off and stick a pipe in its place for a few bucks.

Check out a muffler shop. $450.00 for something that is not really needed is a rip-off!

Tom

I sell aftermarket resonators at our shop. Caymen is basically correct. It is for the most part after the muffler and acts as an after-muffler.

Some vehicles need them more than others as they do resonate (muffle) the noise pretty well due to the muffler not doing the complete job.

I sell them installed in most cases for $69.00 and I make about 35 dollars profit in doing so...