Need a Mass air flow

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TwoX,

It is just a larger tube and you reuse your stock sensor. The computer will relearn or for best results get a tune from Torrie at Unleashed Tuning. I can tell you from experience that you DO NOT want an aftermarket sensor. I had a pro-m on my Trac and it caused a lot of problems. Stalling, LOSS of performance and check engine lights.

George

Actually, not to take away a sale. The stock sensor, will support more horsepower. I would only change it for power adders such as SC or turbo.

Your profile doesnt say what year you have. My '04 measures 73mm in the middle at the sensor location.

wow... the sensor is calibrated to measure airflow through a specific opening. dropping the stock sensor into an larger housing will throw everything off. Most likely the only perceived gains from this are from your motor running dangerously lean. i just dont understand the logic behind some of the mods you guys do. :wacko:

Also larger throttle bodies will do the same thing. The stock ecu has preset tables based on throttle plate position. There is a bit of built in wiggle room there, but when you bolt on a bigger TB, the ecu thinks x amount of air is getting by when in actuality more air is entering the motor, causing a lean condition. Sensors like the o2 sensors can compensate for this to an extent, but mods such as larger MAF's, throttle bodies, pcv breather filters, all only give 'imporvements' because you are leaning out your AFR's.

Mike, that is why after those mods. You get an xcal3 and overwrite the factory parameters. Then you dont have those problems you speak of.

Mike,

Sounds like you are confused. The computer is able to make some adjustments to compensate for the changes. If you read my original post I mentioned getting a tune. Among other things this can recalibrate the maf, o2 sensors, and computer to benefit from these new gains and does not cause the engine to run "dangerously lean" and the larger housing will not throw everything off.

Eddie,

Remeasure your maf again at the smallest point. If you use a caliper you will see it is only 63mm.

George

George C, I pulled the sensor out of my stock meter. I measured the ID at the smallest area. I used my inside telescoping digital mike. I got 73.13mm to be exact.

That is why I didnt buy the zabteck unit.

I think Bill Barber measured his and got the same as I did. I was about to buy one from you. I got curious and measured mine. Mine maybe a fluke. I believe the last 302 T-Birds were 73mm. Also I had a ford racer friend that was going to sell me a 73mm plastic body, until I found I didnt need it. Maybe they got the wrong shipment at the factory. Been around fords all my life. They are known to use up older parts when they will work. I could tell you a few stories about chasing ford parts. Even stock ECU parameters can compensate for 10mm.

Please see New post...

Thank you,

Todd Z