Need Advice - - Replacing Thermostat Housing - - Advice/Tips??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all!!

OK, this weekend I am going to be replacing the thermostat housing on my 01 Sport Trac, 2WD.

I am going to use the Thermostat housing project but I was wanting a few words of wisdom from you guys that have already done this.

I got the tools . . tools aren't an issue.

I have the T-stat housing and a new thermostat and new t-stat gasket.

What else should I get/use? Are there any extra gaskets I should buy? My t-stat lower housing has spaces for 2 sensors. I was planning on just reusing the old ones. Is this a good idea? Should I go ahead and buy new sensor/s??

Thanks for any/all help!!!!

- - Ron in Tuscaloosa

The old sensors are GUARANTEED to leak in the new housing. Only options are new sensors or replacement o-rings. I've read the Dorman 64109 o-rings will seal, but I don't hold me to it. Motorcraft RG614 lower seal is also required for the repair. Don't attempt to seal the sensors with RTV or teflon tape, it will be a very short term fix (I know). Glad to help if you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very recent sensor o-ring leak issue.

Ron, just know when you get through you saved some money. Take it from our experience, my '01 $339 & our son's '05 $364.

Get new sensor right from the start you will save time and agreavation and have a flex socket ( I think it was 8mm )

Very good point. Use Ford or Motorcraft replacement sensors if possible. See warning link below.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts