Need Help Identifying Squeak

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taylor Corn

Reaction score
My ST is not a pavement princess by any means, but I take care of it to the best of my abilities.

I greased all of my ball joints, tie rod end links, and sway bar yesterday, as well as inspected and tightened everything in the front suspension.

After all was done I still found I have a squeak coming from the from right of the vehicle, which happens when the front right tire is stroked up from a bump, or rocking the vehicle.

I'm wondering if body mounts are the cause, but it seems too high pitch. Maybe control arm bushings? Tell me what to lube and I'll try it.

Sway bar frame bushings checked?

Last edited by a moderator:
About all that's left is control arm and shock absorber bushings. Neither take grease but you might try some penetrating oil.

2002 150k 4WD all greasable joints up front and all replaced withing last 20k. Rancho shocks all around with their bushings, less than three years old.

If I can identify the squeak I'll replace the part. I do think I'll spray down the control arm bushings just to see if that will isolate them.

I'm thinking front right body mount though. All of my body mounts are rotted and compressed, but I never cared until now if that is going to cause this constant noise. Anyone have experience with them causing noise at age?

Body mounts can be a MAJOR source of squeaks. Four locations with the orange colored MCU foam mounts are almost always the first to fail. Many victims here, do a search.

Last edited by a moderator:
You note that all the (greaseable) joints have been replaced, but not whether the upper or lower control arms have been replaced. I would try lubricating the control arm bushings (water may work for a short period).

I have 243,000 miles on my 2001 4WD and the body mount bushings are about 30% deteriorated; no squeaks (yet). The upper control arm bushings squeak because they are deteriorated and need replacement; it is a high frequency squeak.

Spray the a-arm bushings top and bottom with some lube. Sway bar links can also squeak. Especially when the rubber blows apart.

Thank you for all the replies. I will attempt to soak the control arm bushings in lube first, and then just assume body mounts if that doesn't work.

I really appreciate the thoughts!

Yup, I think its the Body Mounts. I recently had the body mounts replaced, most of the noises my truck was making are now gone. Way less body Roll too, Love it!

upload_2018-11-6_14-21-39.png

My rear sway bar is a squeaker. You may be able to reproduce it by stepping on the rear bumper and bouncing it up and down.

My rear sway bar is a squeaker. You may be able to reproduce it by stepping on the rear bumper and bouncing it up and down.
Is that from stepping on a certain place of the bumper? I find that happens when I push down on the right rear side of bumper. No sound from the left rear side when I push down.

I just stood on the bumper and bounced it up and down. My also squeaked on the right side more than the left. Some grease on the sway bar bolt helped.

I’ve been dealing with this same problem, even just replaced the sway bar endlinks.
…still squeaks lol

I noticed that one of the end links had to bend pretty far to connect to the frame, whereas the other side only had to reach an inch. The sway bar was centered, too. Not sure how one arm of the sway bar could be bent inward? And I couldn’t bend it outward. So the new end link rubs weird with the sway bar due to it having to reach for the body a couple extra inches.

I don’t have a solution currently, but I’m hoping to try out bending it again and maybe greasing the sway bar/end link connection.

Latest posts