Need Help Quick! Trac Stalling/not running right!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Szkutak

Reaction score
Last night after school i was driving home, and when i went to put my st in park at the drive through line, the rpms fluctuated roughly between 400-1000rpms, and within 2 seconds, it stalled completely. It has done this 3 times today already, it idles fine in drive and reverse, as long as nothing is turned on. For example, i turn on the heater, and it does the same fluctuating/rough idle. But, in neutral or park, it wont stay running. When it stalls, the battery light comes on, but it cranks right back up. My local mechanic thinks it could be a vacuum leak. What do you all think? What should i do? could it be sparkplugs, wires, fuel filter clogged, or bad pcv valve?? I'm due for all of those....The only mods ive done is remove the air silencer, put in k and n replacement filter, and i took out my cd player to send it in for repair this week, i dont think any of these have anything to do with what is happening though...My friend had basicaly the exact same problem with his saturn, and it was his tensioner pulley. Every week somethin else goes on this damn thing....

I appreciate your help...

Thanks

Andy

Either the alternator, battery, or Clean the IAC OR the vacuum elbow leak..

I would do the other things as well, But I think it is the elbow...

Todd Z

it just started happening suddenly last night...the alternator is making that ticking noise more often since this has all started happening, the tick is the sound it makes when its under any kinda load beside the car itself..but ill try to clean the iac now, and isnt the elbow known for that with tracs?

Thanks guys,

Andy

it wants to stall when i turn anything on really, and the headlights dim, and my overhead counsil dont work...

thanks

andy

Charge that battery, IF it gets run down, you will get stuck and need a tow !!!!

Also I do not recommend removing the battery cable on any new car, You can cause severe damage to any of the electrical components In the truck.

Todd Z

¿¿ :huh: ??

Todd Z

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds like the alternator, except for the fact his battery has enough charge to restart the truck. My experience has been that when an alternator fails, and it stops charging the battery, the vehicle will run only until the battery dies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Iam with, Todd Z...do not remove the battery cable on any modern car, while it is running. A freind of mine screwed up the ECU on his F250. doing it.

Sounds as if the voltage regulator may be failing. Get the altenator and regulator checked....

This is from another site:

Test the alternator by disconnecting the battery with the engine running.

A battery as like a voltage stabilizer or filter to the pulsating DC produced by the alternator. Disconnecting a battery while the engine is running can destroy the electronic components, e.g., computers, radio, stereo, alarm system, etc., or the charging system. Just say NO! if anyone suggests this.

As Bill mentioned NEVER remove ANY battery connection while the engine is running. The problem is called "load dump"; and the system voltage can jump to 300volts or more for a split second and cause an injury to components like the ignition, injection, instruments, etc. The nasty result is these electronic components may not fail immediately, but become walking wounded and fail somewhere down the road.

Latest posts