Need help with front tire! I think I have the same problem as the other member with it falling off!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick Pierobon

Reaction score
I remember awhile back when somebody posted about driving down the highway and their front tire assembly snapped off. well today i was driving and i turned to the left and i heard something grinding on the right side. i then turned around and came home to take the tire offf and look at what is the problem. when taking the tire off i noticed that the entire assembly, rotor and bolts to hold onto the tire were loose. now i'm not sure if this is the case, or that my ball joints would do such a thing. anyways i took off the tire from the other side and it was completely fine.

so i'm hoping somebody would remember the post of this happening so on monday when i bring it in, since they are booked solid, i can show them the paper and hopefully it can be covered under warranty if it is. i have extened warranty so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

thx again group

patrick pierobon

Your general description of

when taking the tire off i noticed that the entire assembly, rotor and bolts to hold onto the tire were loose.

sounds like wheel bearings. And bearings will often make a grinding sound befeore collapsing. I've had it happen twice - not on the ST.

grump

About a week ago, I had mentioned that someone I worked with had the spindle snap off on his 2 year old Caddilac, but that was close to 40 years ago. I have not heard anyone here indicate that there wheel fell off on a Sport Trac???

...Rich

i know my description may be a little weak but i remember it clearly. it was a red sport trac and he had pictures of it on the side of the road. he also had pictures of the entire asembly that i guess broke up.

hope this clears stuff up. but now that you said it could be the bearings. i think that might be it. hopefully its not too bad and they can fix it without fixing a whole lot of other things. didn't even hear it when it started to go. it just WENT. lol

thx again group.

if you could still find the post. it would help out alot.

patrick pierobon

I think this post was over two years ago. I somewhat remember the pictures. . .Make sure you search the archives.

1). Do you have a 2 or 4 Wheel Drive?

My guess is a 2 wheel drive based on your description on how things moved around once the wheel/tire was off.

If so, then my guess is the bearings them selves or, the outer bearing nut backed off for some reason.

This is a very affordable issue not matter which it is AS LONG AS the bearing race did not spin and hurt the spindle. If it did. You will be in the market for the following.

1). Inner bearing and race.

2). Outer bearing and race.

3). Inner bearing seal.

4). Spindle.

Spindle. A new one will be pretty expensive. My guess is $160 to $190.

If you find you need a spindle let me know. I have them listed in inventory for $60.00.

Every thing else in the list will be cheap. I suggest you buy the other items new.

It might have been me. I was going down the Highway about 65 MPH. and the rear tire started to wobble on me. then dropped. seems all the lugs sheared off. and lucky that the brake drum stayed on the inside of the rim.

Ford did not warranty it because the person before me had aftermarket tires put on it.

Good catch, Mookie.

That's the same post I remember reading too. It looks like the one Patrick is looking for.

Yup, Mookie found it, that is the one I was thinking of as well.

Try emailing Milky2K, he is still posting here from time to time. I dont see where he ever posted the resolution of this..... but I assume he got it fixed. Just curious who paid.

Latest posts