need help with rear axle

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon mena

Reaction score
Anyone have a ford service manual? I need some help. When replacing the axle shaft bearings do the new ones need to be pressed in (as such only a machine shop could handle) or can I simply do the R&R in my driveway. Problem is my rear drivers side wheel has had a very prominent shake since I got the truck. Even with rotating that wheels, having them balanced, and finally swapped wheels out completely. If I remove the rear wheels and put the vehicle in drive (up on jackstands ofcourse) you can clearly see the drum wobble. I was told this could simply be bad bearings as opposed to the bent axleshaft that I had previously believed. Better yet, anyone have any similar issues? I'd really appreciate the help. I want to go with 35" tires and a few more inches of lift but not until I resolve this. Thanks guys.

If you are going to have everything apart, get rid of the drums.

Are you on a high speed connection? If so, please email me ASAP.

Tom

Well, I would go one step further.

Swap your drums. Or,,, remove the drums and spin the axle shaft by hand to see if the face of the shaft seems to move in and out.

If you can, set something up like a dial indicator and having it touch the face or back side of the axle shaft where nothing will hit the dial indicator. See how much movement there is.

If you don't have the tools or ability to do the indicator trick then swap out the drums. Put two lug nuts on each one so they are secure. Then put it in drive and see if the drum moves in and out on the same side or the other side now.

Same side, probably a bent shaft. Other side, probably a warped drum.

What Tom is going o e-mail you is the way to go. However, make sure you have good axles first so you don't waste your time no matter what direction you go in.

Thanks Tom and Joe. Just emailed him. I'll try to go outside and see what the drum swap will do. I would rather go the indicator route but my tools are limited to what's in the shed right now.

i have a wobble too......but i think mine is in the tire itself....i noticed it a few days after i bought the truck, i took it to have the tires rotated and balanced and what do you know.....it didnt go away...it just moved.....even though it is not as prominate because it went from the front to the back. my tire guy told me the tire could be out of round.....which basically means it has a high spot......so i will take it soon to get that one tire rounded i guess you could say.