Need info about tonneau covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben beethe

Reaction score
I want to get a Tonneau cover for my 02 Sport Trac. I think I want a hard folding one but not sure.

I would like to get some opinions on what types of tonneau covers are best (i.e. soft, hard, folding, etc.).

I love the one that came with my truck. The hard one that folds in the middle. I can undo it by myself and take it out. You can fold it in half and tie it down to travel. Easy to clean and you can put a lot of weight on it.

I have the OEM hard folding tonneau, I am very happy with it, I do not have to remove it to haul stuff that doesn't fit under and is not too long. I have hauled a fridge without having to remove the cover... Just add a bed extender.

I understand there is a lighter folding aftermarket version.

And of course there are the one piece covers taht are much lighter.

Depend of what you looking for, mainly looks or utility. My 2 cts

For the factory folding cover, how hard is it to take it off? How long does it take to take it off?

Is it hard to install?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not hard, but somewhat heavy (about 70lbs) I know my wife would not be able to remove it.

For me, it takes like a minute to remove or replace it.

Install is a snap, since everything (holes, etc) are already there.

I have an A.R.E. as well. I think they're the best looking tonneau bar none and they install via factory mounting points...so no drilling. Removing it would only require some unscrewing and an extra body to help lift it off...apparently these lids are on the heavy side (I've yet to remove mine). It also has a nicely designed handle that swivels for opening and closure. The lock is mounted right by the handle so it's very convenient during lock/unlocking. Moreover the handle and lock assembly which juts out the center-rear of the lid is very, very slick looking. To top it off the whole thing is color-matched (or to what ever paint code you desire) with my Trac.

It does have a few bad points. First and foremost, rear visibility is greatly reduced and if you're not careful you can easily back into a pole or even a trashcan cuz even objects just below bed height will disappear at about three feet from the rear bumper. Second, since the lid uses scissors-type props it is sometimes difficult to reach in from the bedsides because the props are largely in the way. This is mostly a nuisance when I need to retrieve items located towards the front of the bed, or in my case the area forward of the bed extender when it's in the closed position. Last thing is that they're heavy and do not fold making removal and stow away a discouraging option.

Regardless, I've been very happy with the A.R.E. LSII tonneau. It looks great, it's removable, and I can safely store things in the bed (rain or shine).

I got mine from a dealer here in North Hills, CA for $866 installed w/ grey carpet and 12V dome light.

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Word of advice if you plan on buying on eBay. If you run into someone who uses the name bnice6666 or bnice7777 or Brian Mohammed or Brian Mo (may be using a different name now) and is from Queens Village STAY AWAY - he has screwed a few people already. I finally received my tonneau cover but it was not in new condition as it was supposed to be and was damaged during shipping. Now this guy has been paid by me and UPS and I have a damaged, not new tonneau cover that UPS told me to throw out.

consider a Pacxe Edwards retractable cover. They are flush, easy to retract, and very attractive. Much more flexibility than a hard cover IMHO.

Depends how often you need the whole bed open. I do, so I got a soft tonneau from Tonneau Masters. I'm always hauling big stuff or grass clippings or ladders or I need to roll it up and drop the tailgate so I can see my jetski trailer if it's empty.

Jettman,

The most popular folding tonneau covers for the Sport Trac are the Ford OEM hard tonneau cover and the Advance Cover.

The Ford OEM tonneau cover is made of two layers of plastic/fiberglass and is strong, and versitile. It's easy to remove and install, however it weights about 70 lbs so it can be a bit unweildy for one person. If ordered with the Sport Trac new, they only cost $590, however if your ST did not come with the factory tonneau cover, they cost $850 or more. Used cost ranges from about $300 to $500 and shipping will very. If you are close enough to pick it up or met the seller half way, you can save some money.

The Advance cover is made of sytofoam sandwiched between to thin textured aluminum sheets with an aluminum chanel frame. At only about 37 lbs it is light weight and loks good, but it in not as strong or as rugged as the Ford tonneau cover. Cost new is about $450

...Rich