Need new shocks. Monroe or Ranchos?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys, my 3 year old Monroe Sensa-tracs have failed on me. They are leaking and need to be replaced. Although they are still under warranty, I was thinking of going with Ranchos, as I was not impressed with the Sensatracs performance (I have a 05 XLT 4x4).

Anyone have the RS5000's? I have never had shocks that are "adjustable", how does that work and do they maintain it's specific settings? Any input would be great. Thanks.

The Rancho "sleeve" is only a dust boot and is known to trap moisture and dust. You had rust issues with your previous SensaTrac's. Unless off roading, probably best if you left the boots off. BTW, the RS5000 is known to be VERY firm, complete opposite of the "soft" SensaTrac's. If you can find them, the Reflex would be better suited for your needs, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got off the phone with Pep Boys. Mechanic said you can only get the Reflex for rear suspension, it doesn't come for the front to fit the Sporttrac. ??? And that doesn't make sense to me.

Also, anyone who has the Rancho 5000's, do you manually adjust each shock to meet your driving needs? Is there really that much of a difference? . . .

From your previous post "How Do I Improve Stability" replied by Eddie S. Amazon shows stock on all three discontinued Reflex models.

I have shopped on line and found a few warehouses with front and rear reflexes

Reflex Front (4WD #911122) (RWD #911177)

Reflex Rear (#911035)

The 4x4 front shocks will work on a 4x2. My 4x2 came oem with front 4x4 shocks....

The rear is the same on both.

First, you should know Ranchos are a Monroe brand so if you have concerns with Monroe quality you may want to look at other brands. That said, I like my RS5000s but I do drive off road frequently.

Second, the RS5000s are not adjustable. The RS9000s are, though and cost a bit more.

Have you looked into KYB shocks?

As noted above, it is the RS9000XL that has the damping adjustment, not the 5000. It is a manual adjustment, to suit your preference. It's simple and quick with a nine-position dial at the bottom of each shock. (Rancho had an in-cab wireless remote ("MyRide"), but it has been discontinued.) Some people change the damping for on or off road, or less damping for long road trips. It takes no more than five minutes to adjust all four. I reach the fronts by turning the wheels either way and reaching to the dial; you'll have to lay down to reach the rears, but it's open and easy to access.

I have mine set at 6 front and 3 rear. As for the difference, I assume you mean from one dial setting to another. Yes - on the front 5 was a bit soft for me and 7 lasted one off-ramp and I went back to 6. Took about a week to decide what I wanted and haven't changed them since.

Pics (full size in my "Pics" folder):

Dial:

[Broken External Image]:

Front (pardon my pointing):

[Broken External Image]:

Rear:

[Broken External Image]:

After reading previous posts, it appears some people have had issues with the Rancho's sleeve slipping and needing to be "tied" on. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I have those shocks and had that problem. Rancho bundled zip ties with my set so I could keep the sleeves on. I can't say that I like the sleeves as they're a little trouble to get on and aren't very durable (cracks and tears have appeared in them). Speaking of trouble, I think that it should be noted that the nuts on the tops of the rear Ranchos are not the same size as those for the OEM shocks.

I do like the Rancho shocks, but then I wanted the firmest shock that I could find as I didn't want to feel as though I were on a "moon bounce" when turning or after hitting bumps in the road.

Those adjustable shocks look pretty cool.

Shock boots are typically held in place with zip-ties; it's not a problem, it's how it's done. If someone had to tie them because they slipped, I suspect they didn't follow the instructions and use the included zip-ties.

I had no problem putting on the boots. I have never had one crack.

I put Bilsteins on my 2004 at 55K miles. Now have 132K - - no leaks, no problems, but I suspect they've lost some "ooomph" by now. I'm considering replacing them, but not sure I can afford Bilsteins again.

Latest posts