Need some assistance

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomT

Reaction score
Has anyone ever replaced the bushing/bolt that connects the rear sway bar to the tie rod? The other day I was getting ready to install the new greasable sway bar brackets I got from Todd and found out this bolt was totally missing. Got a replacement from Ford yesterday but the damn bushing is bigger than the hole. Did they give me the wrong one or is there some special tool I need to compress this and get it on? I know it needs to be snug but this is ridiculous.

[Broken External Image]:

Take the bushing off the bolt, It may require you hammering it off....

Put the bushing in the end link with some lube, then lube the bolt and push the bolt into the bushing.. You may need a rubber hammer to get it in..

Also they updated the bushing and end links, you may have to buy the whole end link..

Todd Z

Man, makes me wonder how it fell out in the first place. Maybe I should just buy tie rod with the bushing installed. I'll give Todd's suggestion a try first. The only thing I see different is the old bolt had a regular nut and 2 lock washers, now it comes with a self locking nut. Probably because they kept coming off.

I think I'm going to just buy the whole link kit. Found one on this site for just $13.95. Probably much cheaper the buying oem from Ford. It says "does not include bolt" but I'm thinking they mean the upper bolt. Not the one attached to the bushing.

I think the ford ones are $18 each...

You can go with aftermarket ones from a local auto store, AND always get new bolts when you can...

Todd Z

Well I called the Ford place that sold me the bolt/bushing and they said a new linkage with the bushing installed would only cost me $16. Hell, I paid $8 for just the bolt/bushing. For just an extra $8 I'd rather just get the whole thing and not worry about killing myself trying to get the other to fit.

Stonemeiser, how much different are the newer ones? I'm wandering if I need to buy one for each side so they will match.

TomT, I did a project on how to replace them and it has pictures of the old vs. the new. Get both and replace them. Very easy to do and you will see why. The bushings are bigger in the new ones. Night and day difference between the two.;)

I agree, replace both at the same time. Easy fix and you will prevent a squeak down the line. I got mine from the Ford Dealer. I think they were about $18 a piece. Well worth it.

ScoTt