Need some help selecting new tires

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chad Merry

Reaction score
I need to get some new tires for my ST. I have had BFG AT/KO before and they were great. Then I put Goodyear Wrangler MTR's which are on now. Well it is time again for tires, and I am debating if I should get mud terrains again or all terrains? Is there some tires that are a cross between both? Not quite as aggressive as a mud terrain, but a little more aggressive then an all terrain? Hope this makes sense..

Chad,

Are you doing more off roading then on roading ???

Snow driving, Mudding ???

If so, go aggressive, IF not go lesser, They will still perform off road, and be cheaper,a nd quieter on road...

Just my thoughts..

Todd Z

Chad,

I know that BFG has a "Mud-Terrain" tire that is a little more aggressive than the All-Terrains that I have. I think they are somewhat less aggressive than the Wrangler MTRs.

Here is the Wrangler MTR

Last edited by a moderator:
Also check out the Dunlop Radial Rover RVXT and the Radial Mud Rover. They are some of the best customer-rated tires in their category. Superior to BFG in many people's opinion, including my own.

Well to be honest I do mostly on road driving, but I like knowing when I do off road I have great tires, plus MT tires have an aggressive look that I like.

I have found these tires that look pretty good.

I personally had BFG KO's n i did not like them in any kind of slippery situation they would just slide like they were on ice.

I now have Nitto A/T's n i love em. They are much better in wet terrrain and not too aggressive and also have a good sidewall.

Nitto Makes a GREAT product !!

Todd Z

Michelin LTX M/S is the way to go.

Better ride traction and durability.

I have 100,000 mile on them and still have 6/32 left.

Will be putting another set on this spring.

I've had four sets of tires on my ST (2wd limited slip):

Firestone Wilderness AT - Never got stuck in the mud

Michelin Cross Terrain - Got stuck plenty

Pirelli Scorpion AT - Never got stuck

Bridgestone Dueler AT - Never got stuck

In fairness to the Michelins, they are a highway tire, where the others were All Terrain. Of the above tires, I was happy with all three sets of ATs, but the Duelers have been my favorites. They are wearing extremely well, and have tenacious off road traction, with a reasonable highway ride. I'd buy them again in a heartbeat.

Another note: I have Yokohama Geolandar 10 ply tires on my work Explorer. They are absolutely bomb-proof! They will make your ride a little rough, but they can hold up to just about anything. They are relatively quiet on the road and have great traction off-road. Expensive? Yeah, very!

I put some General Grabber AT2's on my 05 ST, they look just like BFG TA KO's and I paid a little over $500 for them installed, after 1000 miles I couldn't be happier! I went up a size to 265 70 16 they are so much better then the stock Goodyear wranglers, those tires just suck!

Check out the Toyo Open Country A/T.

X2

I loved them on my ST, I did about 85% highway driving and 10% off road on oil field roads, so lots of mud, snow and dirt. They were excellent. (the remaining %5 was city driving in case anybody cares :D)

Latest posts