Need Traction

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor V01

Reaction score
I need some opinions on how to improve my traction in my Trac during the snowy, icy season in KY. My driveway is very steep & when I leave in the mornings ,I have a very hard time getting out. Its usually iced up and the road leaving my house is usually very icy. I have read the prior posts about upgrading tires, but I also want some opions on installing a PowerTrax unit. Let me know. I want to upgrade tires anyways, to 31x10.50-15's. Thanks.

Victor.:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Woppy got it right, tire chains all the way. you can also add weight in the bed of your S/T. add something like sand bags, concrete mix, actual weights, anything with substantial weight to it, right over the wheel wells in your bed. i would recommend the chains though, they are pretty common in auto stores. another thing would be to get a plow for your S/T and take care of your driveway :lol: ... throw some dirt, sand, salt mix up your driveway!!!

Park the truck with the rear tires on the area that will give you the best traction, Use rock salt the night before, OR they sell a ladder looking traction chain that you can park on the night before and it will give you the traction you need....

The posi units are great, but Ice is ICE, the 2 whees spinning may make it worse...

Todd Z

Posi Rear ! Posi Rear ! I have the same issue with a steep driveway. Without a posi it is hard to get up it....... I never got stuck with my 2001 4x2 Sport Trac with the posi rear.Of course 4x4 with posi is better but 20yrs, 6 Ford later, I never needed the 4x4.

James it is the trucks ability to send power to both rear wheels....

all other RWD trucks with out a posi are only 1 wheel drive...

You can find out what you have by the door sticker code on your drivers door. it is under AXL..

Todd Z

Lol, waterbed for your truck. When the weather warms up you could use it for a extracurricular activities. ;):wacko::blink:

Thanks for the advice.

Chains are good for deep snow , however they do a good job salting the main roads here. So chains wont work. I only need it for the secondary roads. Ice is the biggest problem.

I already have weight in the bed. I have a toolbox and 6 cinderblocks.

I have walmart brand A/T tires, not sure of brand. What tire works best for all year traction?

I think its the one tire doing all the work that causing the problem. And my tires.

Does anybody know the weight on the rear tires? I figured with the plastic bed it would be pretty light.

Does anybody have the powertrax in their truck? How easy was the install?

I've been salting my drive, and that has helped, but the roads are solid ice.

Thanks again for the advice. Victor

Clark, those work great

[Broken External Image]:

A little weight, good tires, and definitely a limited-slip of some type. Either the factory unit, Powertrax No-Slip, or Detroit True Trac would be a big improvement.

Linky-linky-----V