New Addition to the Garage

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VideoITGuy

Reaction score
After owning our 2000 Lexus GS 400 for twelve years we took the plunge and ordered a 2012 BMW X3 35i to replace my wife's daily driver (I get to fill it with gas and drive it on trips!).

It has the turbocharged straight 6 and handles almost as well as the 3 series sedan. We took it on a trip to southern Ohio (Hocking Hills) and I really enjoyed the way it handled.

We were hoping to travel down to South Carolina to the assembly plant where they are built and take advantage of what they call the "Performance Delivery Experience", but the openings they came up with just didn't fit our schedules to make the trip. What is really neat is that they post a video with actual shots of your vehicle being assembled.

The Sport Trac remains my daily drive and I now have 55,000 miles on it. I will continue to use it as my work vehicle until I retire in 4 years. I have faith that it will still be running strong (as I hope I am) when that time comes! [Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
if an "import" is built in south carolina doesn't it make it a "domestic"

No, but I'd say BMW could use the same style line Chrysler uses, "Imported from Detroit", or in BMW's case, "Imported from Spartanburg". :bwahaha:

Hey Greg, that's a real nice thing you did for your wife! nice looking vehicle. They are well made and should provide you an the Mrs. with many years of fun. Good luck. OH, make sure somebody gives you guys something red to put in the truck(keeps the evil eye off!) OH Yeah, some money under the rear floor mat helps too!

Gary, Gary, Gary, this is a can of worms you're opening here. I love ya man, but what about the Fords built over in Europe or Asia? I would presume that wherever the corporate offices are, is how foreign or domestic comes into play. But what do I know, I'm just a beach guy from South Jersey... Bob

That's a nice ride.

I don't care if a manufacturer is labeled domestic or import. I think it's cool if the vehicle is made state side but it's never been a major player in my decision making process. I can tell you that 90% of the people I sell cars to, also don't care at all. People are not going to stretch the extra $20 or more a month for that USA built vehicle just because it's made in the USA. They also don't buy the USA car just because it could happen to be less money. It's usally about landing on the right product and making the payment work.

It would be really nice to have that intense national pride. It would be great to only buy things made local to you or made only in the USA. Made in the USA doesn't mean quality anymore. Not like it used to.

We are a global economy now and every consumer product out there reflects that.

Thanks for the comments!

If you look at my profile you will see we have owned a variety of "imported" vehicles since I started driving. Almost always we have owned a Ford of some type at the same time. One GM vehicle graced our driveway but other than that one '64 Chevy Impala convertible I have never owned any other domestic make of car other than Ford.

As a side note the BMW Spartanburg Assembly Plant makes the X3, X5, and X6 and exports all 7 models produced there to over 130 countries worldwide! (Sort of makes it an import depending what part of the world you live in!) While the vehicle's content is mostly Austrian & German the assembly plant in South Carolina provides good paying jobs for over 7000 South Carolina employees and has over 170 North American suppliers. Manufacturing vehicles truly is a global economy anymore.

Keep on Trac'n!

Greg Smith:haveabeer:

i was only making a joke about domestic vs imports. didn't want to start a war.

i agree with psyc 100% on his statements. there are a few who will buy only domestic not knowing over 50% of the parts were imported.

greg brings up a good point of employing citizens here even though the manufacturer is oversees.

either way, nice ride / enjoy :supercool:

Nice purchase!

i was only making a joke about domestic vs imports. didn't want to start a war.

Uh huh, sure. :argue:

:bwahaha:

Last edited by a moderator:
"Uh huh, sure"

come on guy...... my new ride is a domestic even though the engine was built in mexico

:haveabeer:

Latest posts