New and bigger brakes?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Stamps

Reaction score
If I replace my stock rims/tires on my 02 ST with 20" rims, will I need to get "bigger brakes"? or can I simply put the 20's on and "be done with it"?

Since your not going to have a 40 inch tall tire in the 20's you should be fine, I would just recommend a new set of ceramic pads and if you want some type of performance rotor...

Todd Z

As Todd said, you are probably OK with just upgrading the pads.

Keep in mind that that is based on keeping the same overall tire diameter (winin an inch or so) and keeping the new wheel tire combination close to the same weight as the stock. Larger and heavier rotating mass can require a brake upgrade.

...Rich

brake upgrades...stop it

in a perfect world, we could all afford an Alcan or Brembo big brake kit. Hell even the aforementioned ceramic pads and what, gas slotted and drilled rotors.

I have been running P29545VR20's in the summer on my ST for 5 seasons.

Yeah, I've gone thru a set of ceramic pads on the stock(turned) rotors. Eventually I did a complete caliper-rotor-pad replacement this summer-rears and a total bleed.

This was due to normal wear and tear and mileage, 82K and counting, and not because I put 20"s on the truck.

I would argue that a 20" wheelset, although much heavier than stock, will more often than not yield a much stickier performance tire with a much larger contact patch. Those factors should offset any braking performance losses...IMHO.

To advise someone that they should consider a brake upgrade because of the larger wheelset is overkill. A simple compound change from stock can significantly increase brake performance, however...

I say, throw the 20's on there, don't forget to lower it. Get a nice aftermarket exhaust-the best seat of the pants and music to your ears mod you can do. Save the money you were told you should consider a brake upgrade with, and get some new performance shocks.

My 02 ST 5 speed manual 4x4 has served me faithfully for 82K. Summer 20's, and winter stock wheels with Nokian snows. Lowered 2" front, 3" rear, Edelblock shocks, Magnaflow exhaust, EE rear sway.

I drive aggressively year round, and have never found the need for more brakes. Now maybe with 100 more horses I would.

Save your money on the brake upgrade. Roll responsibly on the 20's and enjoy the ride...

Last edited by a moderator: