New Battery and Hub Bearing for Blue !

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Z

4 wheel drive
2nd Gen owner
V8 Engine
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
Also worked on Blue this past weekend. 2 things. The airbag light was on for a few months, When scanned it showed the Passenger seat sensor. This was a FALSE reading. Check your battery !!! The battery was low on volts and since I don?t drive it I did not hear the sluggish starts. Drop a new battery in and done !! Used code from Advance auto got the gold for $119 !!!

Next the growl that blue had in the front for about 3 months. Front hub bearing !! Got a Moog replacement and went to town !! Had to BEAT THE HECK out of the old one. Another great Ford design. They leave a small gap all the way around and guess what, Rust and crap locks it in !! I beat that sucker to death so bad I ovaled the hub !!! HAHAHAHAHAHA Felt good though !!!

So that?s been my weekend with the nice warm weather here in NY !

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

I changed my hubs around 75K when I did the ball joints. I don't think they were that worn, but since I was already in there... They came off pretty easy.

I can't remember if I put grease on the splines when I put it back together.

I went with the el-cheapo bearings ($50 each). They appear to be holding up ok, now 25K miles later.

The hubs came with new ABS sensors but I opted to keep going with the originals.

The FIRST[b/] indicator of a bad battery on my Gen 2 Trac is the airbag light coming on at start-up after sitting over night.

Happened when I first bought it used with the 4 y.o. factory battery.

I just had the same issue after running my battery down 3 weeks ago. Charged the battery overnight and I haven't had a problem since. I know I'm on borrowed time, but until it fails....

I just changed mt front hubs too from a growl, at 88k. hard to tell what side it was, so I went ahead and replaced both, with motorcraft HUB29 parts. Both original hubs looked about the same, with noticeable amount of grease leaking past the seals. Hope I get another 88k out of them at least! wasn't a bad job but took a lot of hits of the BFH for sure.

Latest posts