New Clutch

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoriMaury Kimbrough

Reaction score
Well, it finally happened. I have to take my truck in for an actual repair. So far it's just been in for wear and tear kind of stuff...of course I guess technically, a clutch it wear and tear as well.

When we took it in for the 76K service we told them that we wanted the clutch replaced and were told that it wasn't needed and that we should get at least 100k out of the clutch. About 1000 miles later, it start to make noise. Although it wasn't the throw-out bearing that went this time, we are getting a lovely noise when the clutch is engaged not the normal whining you get when it's the throw-out bearing. At least from my experience.

So next week my boy will spend some time at the Ford house getting some much deserved TLC. We're in the process of moving so he's been a real work truck lately and not the pampered baby he usually is.

I got the Spec Clutch Stage 2 (+1 from OEM & better for towing) installed for $500 and love it. I also got the Hurst shifter (for Ford Ranger adapted to SportTrac) installed and liking it too. Also, Centerforce now makes a clutch specifically for our manual tranny.

We'll ask Ford about a different clutch, one better suited for towing and see what they say. If we have a reliable mechanic in town, then we would go that route. So far every mechanic that we've taken a vehicle to has either done a half-assed job or wasn't able to diagnose/fix the problem. Ford will give us a 1 year warranty on their work so that makes a big difference as well.