New Fuel Pump

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 59934

Reaction score
Well...I am putting in a new Fuel Pump in my 2003 ST (with only 92,000 miles) on Monday.

My ST left me stranded with $50 worth of perishable groceries on Wednesday.

I posted about my non-starting issues recently.

It would start-up fine in the morning or after a long cool-down period but would not start if it was warmed up. If I sprayed some starter fluid in, it started for a couple of seconds. It ran perfectly once it was running

I checked/tested everything I could get to..including, relays, fuses, wires and connectors. The Inertia Switch was allowing current through it and had no burnt connectors. However, I did find it strange that only 7 volts was present at the Inertia Switch. I didn't test it while cranking or while running so maybe 7 volts is all the computer sends to it to prime the system.

Anyway...so far it has cost me $50 for the wasted groceries, $70 for the towing, $500 for the fuel pump and installation, $120 for the concert tickets I bought and couldn't use (or sell) because I had no way to get there on Friday and $45 for the ticket to a concert/outdoor festival/party I was supposed to go to on Saturday.

Makes me wonder why I have been loyal to Ford. This the second time a Ford has let me down at a VERY bad time. One time I was in another state...about 300 miles from home. That time it cost me about $1000 for towing, repairs and a hotel room for 2 days. Not to mention having to waste 2 extra vacation days.

It may be time for me to start buying vehicles from a company that has more faith in their products. A 100,000 mile warranty sounds good right-about-now.

It is really frustrating because my buddy's father has a like-new running 1987 Toyota Pickup with almost 300,000 miles on it and he has only had to replace tires, brakes and valve seals (along with normal maintenance).

The guy who designed the in-the-tank Fuel Pump might want to stay clear of me...forever.

Extremely stupid idea....

I rather have a nice, high quality Bosch Fuel Pump on the frame rail that takes $100 and 15 minutes to replace once every 100,000 miles.

I disagree less the part about the pump being on the inside of the tank.

Pumps seemingly never go out when it's convenient. I had a BMW fuel pump fail on me when I was 100 miles from home, driving up a steep hill in the middle of nowhere Maine.

Think there was a BMW mechanic or a BMW fuel pump part anywhere near that town? Fugheddaboutit.

Can understand your frustration but am going to say if you would have taken it to a shop in the first place and had it properly diagnosed look how much time, money and frustration it would have saved you.

I agree with Scott. You let your self down. Let a serious issue go on until it stranded you.

If it wasnt you that has been posting this problem on the board, a few weeks ago.. Forgive me I have confused you with another member.

Latest posts