New Gen 1 center shifter boot idea

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Phillips

Reaction score
I thought you guys might to see what we're cooking up in Phillips' house of horrors. My dad's been driving Jade to work and back to keep all the fluids circulating and what not, and he's been thinking about some customization ideas. Alot of the look of Jade came from suggestions and help from my parents, and my mom actually wants to buy Jade from me in her present state if I ever upgrade to a newer truck. Anyways, my dad came up with an awesome idea to fix the big hole in the center console where my shifter comes out. It used to be my cupholder.

Originally, I was going to install a custom sewn leather boot, but then he told me his idea, and I drew it out on Paint, and I figured I would share it with the site. His unit will be a "pedestal" built around the shifter base, and the top will be flush and contoured to the curves of the top of the console. The only way you'll see it's a separate piece is the screws, and the separation line around it. If I ever need to work on the wiring in the console, I can snap off the console top and it will lift off and the shifter pedestal will stay in place. I might even paint it grey to match the rest of the interior instead of mystic. I haven't decided yet.

This is actually the second drawing I did, where I modified it to include a vertical LED shift indicator from Lokar Performance.

Here's the concept drawing I made,

[Broken External Image]:

Here's how it looks now,

[Broken External Image]:

Here's the original leather boot idea I was going to do.

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
That'll look good Larry. :cool: That shifter (drawing) resembles a floor shift from an early Mustang.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the comments guys! I have an easier time on MS Paint than Photoshop for some reason. That's how I've done most of my before pictures. Maybe sometime I'll post the pictures I made of my hopefully future rollpan...

You might even be able to go to the junk yard and pick up the bezel off a 79-93 mustang or even newer car and simply use that....

Todd Z

I built a 350 small block into a Vega with a Hurst T/B&M shift, gotta love the T-handles - but Larry, you have to turn the T 45 degrees to fit your hand.

Or maybe you can't because of the lockout position.

I vote for the boot.