New GPS with homemade mount

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim Reynolds

Reaction score
Just upgraded my Garmin GPS V with this 276C, couldn't be happier with this unit. Check out the Gaterade container that I modded into a mount. I think I'll paint it black.

[Broken External Image]:

Pros:

-keeps unit off the dash and easy reach of buttons !!!

-less glare than being on the dash, perfect viewing angle

-still get great antenna reception ( I have a sunroof though )

-power cable out of the way

-swivels and pivots (all my passengers love to play around too)

-easy to disconnect, just unscrew the one round head nut on the bottom on the marine mount and it comes right off. ( I like to keep the unit attached to the marine mount so this is nice for me )

-just pull the "mount" out and replade the rubber cupholder when done

cons:

-loose a precious cup holder

lol thats a sweet idea......I would mount it in the front where the "ash cup" goes though. I dont smoke so I dont need it. THat way, I can still have the cup holder and the passanger can use the one in their door pocket.

I thought about the ash cup but opted for the unit being a bit further away from the dash for better reception and literally no reach for the buttons.

Nobleman, my 04 ST has cub holders molded into the side pockets of the front door, typically where you might store an atlas or a small umbrella. They are little extra bump outs near the front...right where I would hit my freaking knee against them until I learned (and I am a slow learner).

TJR

Yes I have a 03, and the front of the passanger side door pocket rounds out so you can fit a cup in there....or a beer....or....water....lol

As I think about it, maybe my wife's Mountaineer only has the holders in both front doors. Definately the 04 ST has one in the passenger side. The wife used it on our last trip.

Another cup holder without the fancy-smanzy wood trim:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
TJR a friend has access to a junk yard and i can get pieces every now and then if i can get one yes it would be free.to pay for a panel NO i would not change it for a extra cup houder.

plus the top edge of my drivers door panel is scraped it is how it was when i got it not bad but it does bother me

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts