New guy here.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Max

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
I found this site while searching for answers to driveshaft replacement. Glad I found you and appreciate the add.

My rig is a 2008 Sport Trac Limited 4.0 that is pretty loaded up. I bought it a little over a year ago. Nice shape but needs a few things which I am working on as we go. The drive shaft got really noisy so looked into it. Drives me crazy that they would make something “unserviceable”. I’ll post about my drive shaft adventure soon. Thank you guys for being here! Max

Welcome !!! Lots of good folks/information here.

Just went through the drive shaft problems with both of our ST.

My wifes 2008 2WD got the carrier bearing replaced, and my 2008 Adrenalin got a new drive shaft. Being un-serviceable is indeed a PITA !!!!

I don’t have a second gen ST (….yet), but the drive shafts are not servicable? Like meaning I can’t drop it if it needed new joints?

I don’t have a second gen ST (….yet), but the drive shafts are not servicable? Like meaning I can’t drop it if it needed new joints?
You have to replace the whole drive shaft. You cannot just replace the U joints. Most vehicle manufacturers are doing that now. If you look I wrote a second post about what I did. It really wasn’t too bad, just takes some planning. Unserviceable ranks right up there with the sealed transmission with no dip stick. Unbelievable. But they are all doing that now also. My Diesel Grand Cherokee has that too. You can’t even check the fluid level. But I will give the original drive shaft credit. It went 170,000 miles before starting to fail. Max

Latest posts