New Jeep Unlimited

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Unlimited was my first choice when I was car shopping last year. I drove one at the dealership and decided that I drive too much to own one. It just wasn't comfortable enough for the amount that I am on the road.

Love the Jeeps for the aftermarket parts and parts availability.:)

Hate the Jeeps for the Chrysler recalls, which seem to come thereafter.:angry:

The last Chrysler/Jeep I had, I received no less than 6 recall notices over the 8 years I owned it. Everything from brake/shift interlock, the entire brake system, and grounding straps, to crappy tires. I was willing to give them one more try, but the unlimited is not made as a daily (semi-long distance) commuter. Not to mention that the gas mileage wasn't any better than the ST I bought.

My Dad bought a '05 Jeep Wrangler. 1 recall. Still has the ancient inline 6 cylinder from eons ago. Does good to get 16mpg in town. Definitely a weekend only vehicle.

Unfortunately, they mention the V6 for the Jeep in the article. The I6 that is in the current Wrangler is an excellent off-road engine because of the amount of torque that is available at low RPMs. I've heard that the CRD I4 is pretty loud by current standards for a diesel engine. We had a Jeep Cherokee and got rid of it at the end of the lease. One of the reasons was the amount of recalls the vehicle had but more importantly the lack of service from our local dealer when the vehicle was in for recalls. We never had a problem with the vehicle in the 3 years we owned it.

[Broken External Image]:

Q, But one doesn't NEED to do hill climbing, one chooses to do hill climbing. It's those types of people that run up the price of gas for everyone! ;)

I would think the long wheelbase required by the 4 door model would reduce its utility. One of the key things Jeep drivers like about their rigs is the short turning radius, which is a necessity on the sharp switchbacks on the jeep trails in mountainous areas.

Yeah, Q, I know...

I just was trying to remind you of the long thread you and I had a few months back where you were admonishing soccer moms and families that drive big, luxury SUVs but don't really need them. You claimed it was a waste, of money, of gas, etc, all for no real purpose/utility. I countered with the opinion that it was people spending their money to pamper themselves, to give themselves something they like and enjoy, or make them feel better about themselves.

I was reminded of that thread when you talked about a "recreational vehicle" like the Jeep, used for weekend entertainment.

Like I said, I thought of that thread when I read your comments here. Just thought I would mention that!

TJR

Depending on price there may be a 2 for 1 deal in the fall. '94 Wrangler & '03 ST for one of these. Can pack the kids in and not get them wet as opposed to how I run the Jeep now - poor guys in the back would need a snorkle.

It is like they mated - will have to see what kind of genetic mutations (recalls) arise from it.

Always liked the Hummers that were convertible and sat plenty 'o people - that was the H1 I believe that also had the exaust above the roof and could take a mine hit from the underside - a little more than I need as a 'baseball Dad' (cooler version of soccer Mom) but defintely could store 3 bags of equipment, 2 ball buckets, & 1 hitting tee. This looks like a smaller version of that.

Wow - never thought I would think of selling my Jeep

Interested but not sold on the prospect just yet,

JT#14