New Magnaflow today...Nice results

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Lynas

Reaction score
I church friend who happens to own a muffler shop was bored today and said, "let put a nice stainless Magnaflow on your ST. He even redid my exit tips. Cost plus 20 bucks.

To maintain a reasonable stock sound he chose the Magnaflow Muffler 14577 Polished Stainless. Well, it sounds way better and now has a deep throaty but pleasant inside sound. Really surprised that a V6 could sound this good. With the sun roof open, rear and back windows down it was an "oh yeah" experience. BTW, it was sunny and 82 degrees today. He said if drive like a normally do, it might help fuel mileage. I am not sure I see how a muffler can improve mileage but someone might could explain that. I wish I had a car lift in my driveway. The Home owners association would just love that.

[Broken External Image]:

I'm looking to do something with my exhaust here soon and can't decide which way I want to go. How much louder is it inside the truck? ANy droaning?

In town with the window up, radio on, A/C on, I only notice the sound as you normally apply power and goes through the shifts. Once in overdrive I don't here it at all but when CC downshifts, I diffidently notice it now because there is some deep bass to the exhaust tone. Again, once in overdrive, I don't notice anything different. The muffler friend said over time it can get quieter.

I left the resonator on. He also installed the muffler a tad further back. I believe the Magnaflow used in my application is the biggest oval they make with regard to inlet and outlet diameter.

I haven't driven but 27 mile since installing so it would too early to say on the "droaning" but final overdrive seems pretty close to stock. I'd have say that I have mild droaning with the stock muffler. After the new wears off from a drivers perspective, I'll see if my sensitivities are affected by the deeper tone. My exhaust exits in the stock location, I just have a chrome twin to one welded in. Today effort, we move the tips out by 2 inches and squared them up to the body profile in that area.

[Broken External Image]:

The tips are really nice. I tried the Magnaflow on my truck with the stock resonator and it didn't make a bit of difference in sound. I took the resonator off the very next day and that made a HUGE difference.

Having that muffler on won't do much for your fuel economy because you're still insanely restricted by the stock resonator.

IMO...cut the resonator out and install a round tube style Magnaflow resonator/mufffler in it's place. That will significantly free up the exhaust flow and it will give a little deeper exhaust note as well.

Russ, the tip exit is nice touch. If you have the V6. I would eliminate the resonator completely.

Psycareyo

So you replaced the resonator with a small muffler and ran this into the main muffler? I was set to get a muffler replaced, but hadn't thought about the resonator. Is this something alot of folks do?

Changing the muffler on my 08 STA was pointless. It made no difference in sound at all. I put a straight intermediate pipe in the resonators place from the last cat to the muffler. Others with the same 08 STA have added a small round muffler to act as a resonator. It works. It's not for me though. I love the sound I get from my custom catback.

My wife didn't know I added the Magnaflow but taking her to work, she asked if did anything to the engine. I said I added twin tubos over the weekend. With that she reply. "OH"

If you're worried about sound level and want that performance and sound....but..not..all..the..time.

Consider a DMH electric cutout installed after the cats. It's just a high quality valve and transmission that opens and closes on a cutout. This allows you to bypass your entire catback system. Obviously, it's going to be aggressive and loud in tone.

You can shut it off with the flip of a switch. It shouldn't throw any CELs.