Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Bugaiski

Reaction score
Hello all, just joined. Recently purchased a 2009 Sport Trac XLT 4x4 with 62,000 miles in like new condition. Mileage appears to be in the 15 mpg range (city driving) is that a normal mpg? I have 4.0 V6, does this run in 4x4 all the time? Switches on dash show 4x4 auto, 4x4 high, 4x4 low and a traction control button. Found overdrive switch (on/off) on shifter-always on. and my traction control always on, stereo says I can play mp3 but don't see where to plug in mp3, has cd player & Sirrus (non subscriber) Any general tips or information greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Dan

Welcome!

You will find a ton of info here, so dont be afraid to ask.

Now, I am running a 2005, but doubt theres too much mechanical difference. First off, our running in 2x until you flip to something different. Leave the overdrive switch on, and the mp3 is on the cd's.

Have fun!

It's rwd but automatically shifts power to front when rear slips. Use 4wd hi in snow etc. look in the center console for the audio input. Most don't have a need to turn traction control off

I'd say you're getting typical fuel mileage for where you live. Improving it is same as for any car. Check basics like spark plugs, air filter and fuel filter. Synthetic fluids stem to stern. Contact me if you want the best. Did you buy from private party or dealership? If dealership you'll most likely not have any maintenance history on it. You'll find USB and audio jacks in the console storage box. Not necessary though as you can pair your phone via Bluetooth. If there's not an Owner's Manual in glovebox you can get one from Ford or elsewhere on internet.

Welcome Dabug,

Your mileage is probably very typical but remember that mileage varies a lot depending upon your driving conditions....that includes weather, traffic, and your personal driving habits. Traffic is the big variable. You can drive the same route to and from work and get some vary wide variations from day to day. Just a slightly longer wait at a traffic light can make a big difference.

Even a slightly longer wait at a traffic light can make a big difference in your gas mileage. I have actually seen a noticeable difference in gas mileage in the summer, when school is out when compared to when school is in session. That has more to do with the volume of traffic than the speed limits in school or extra traffic in zones.

...Rich

Latest posts