New oil leak - rear main or oil pan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Peters

Reaction score
I have the pcv tube and valve cover replaced which stopped one oil leak but I have new drips on the ground in 2 spots both sides of the oil pan. The bolts on the back side were loose so I tighted them and it's still leak from that location. Now the question is I've been told the rear main could be leaking as well. Where would it run down from. I sprayed the area down with cleaners and will watch it but I feel the oil pan is the culprit based on the bolts in the back are very dis colored and nasty which the front bolts are new looking. Nothing is leaking from the side of the oil filter that's confirmed. I do have dye left over in the system from the previous repair as well.

Can the rear main seal be seen from underneath?

Maybe?

OIL LEAK FROM OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Last edited by a moderator:
Checked it out and no. This has me stumped because the trans bolts that screw just above the oil pan are covered in motor oil.

Mileage?

In fact I think that should be a rule. You can't ask a question unless you state the mileage first.

It just helps everybody all around.

120048 is the miles. Had the valve cover gasket replaced a while ago and is not leaking from that location. I originally had 4 oil leaks. PVC hose, valve cover, a seal (can't rememeber but is was in the front of the engine), now the pan what it looks like. The pan bolts are covered in oil.