New tires/Alignment needed?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Rutt

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to put new tires on my Trac.The Goodyears have worn straight across nice and even on all 4 tires and as far as I can tell they did not cup .That being said,they still are horrible!

I have rotated every oil change and kept after the air pressure to try and get as much mileage out of them as I could till I absolutly could not stand them anymore.

My question : Do you think I should spend the money to have the alignment checked even if it seems to be ok to this point. I have 42,000 miles on my Trac.

Thanks,Markr

Most of your bigger name places do a free alignment check... If they are straight forward they will tell you if you need it or not..

Todd Z

At 42k I'm sure it could use a little adjustment. I went off-road just once and it knocked the heck out of it.

If it makes you feel better I only got 19k out of the Goodyears my '02 Ranger came with, and I'm anal about tire rotation and checking the pressure a lot. Evenly worn and not totally bald but they weren't worth anything in the snow either.

As Todd said, getting the alignment checked is always a good precaution whether it's free or not. Most tire stores will check it for free, or for a very small charge if you are buying tires there.

...Rich

As unstable as our factory tracs seem to be , I'm thinking 40-50 thousand miles

out of a set of factory tires may not be too bad. With all the rocking and swaying,

etc... I, too am anal-retentive when it comes to rotation, air pressure and balance.

All in all, I don't see 42,000 miles as too bad. Yes, have your alignment checked, and

also at this mileage, have the wheel bearings and other suspension components

checked for wear and play.

Latest posts