new tires, now rubbing on sharp left turns

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A J

Reaction score
Just upgraded the 255/70/16 tires to some BFG AT TAKO2 and went up one size to 265/70/16.

Now when making sharp left turns, it is rubbing to what i am 90% sure is coming from the passenger side and the tire is hitting the sway bar.

So do i need wheel spacers?

It is not rubbing anywhere else, only in the one area.

Also upgraded to some bilstein 4600 shocks front and rear and replaced my lower ball joints.

You increased the width of the tire.... ITS now rubbing..... you need to go back to smaller tire or deal with the rubbing....

you can install spacers, but I hate them...

Todd Z

Be sure what it is rubbing on. I had a MB that rubbed on a break line!

I'd rather just not make those sharp turns anymore. Take a wide turn if needed. That is what I do in my 35s. Spacers are iffy, I have them on my ranger. I have rubbing on my 35s every left turn I make... worse when I hit a bump while turning. It just hits the fender. LMAO

I have the same tire size on mine, but I put 8x17" rims with 3.5" backspace and have no rubbing.

Not just the width, the diameter increased, also. From ~10x31" to ~10.43x31.6" (32.57 vs 33.28" on the diagonal). Plus, the TAKO2 have an aggressive, square edge.

I also do not like spacers; just another opportunity for failure. I had a truck with tires rubbing the long arms, but did no damage to either. If there is no damage, live with it.

I have 18x8.5 rims @ 0 offset. 265-60x18 tires @ 9" tread width. My left turn rub is the inside rear of the left tire, rubbing the plastic inner fender. No damage is done , so I dont worry.

I had 265/75-16 on my old '05 with a TT/shackle lift. They rubbed the sway bar a little but not enough that I'd notice. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

the gen 2 adren comes 255/50/20.... can use the calculator and see of its the same or close...

I run 265/60/18 for my winters and have no problem. My summers are 275/45/20's and again no problem. 07 ST LTD
he has a gen 1.... Different.

Latest posts