New tires...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick weaver

Reaction score
i am in need of new tires and since ive alreayd have done the TT/shackle lift on my trac i was looking at some 285/75-16's, and i kno that plently of member have this set up and i was wondering if they rub in the front at all and if i decided to go with M/T's would at 285/75 set of those rub and if so what would be the next best size to go with,maybe 33x12.50R16's, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done the TT/Shackle lift and put on slightly agressive tread 265/75R16's. I had to do some minor trimming to the wheel well liner and worst of all, I have some rubbing on the front sway bar when I take sharp turns (i.e. parking lot). If you plan on keeping your stock wheels, I would for sure try to avoid the 285's because they are not made to go on a 7in wide tire (which is what I believe the stock is) and it would in turn cause a "bubbling effect" with the tire and end up possibly decreasing the life of the tire due to uneven wear.

Just my experience, but I'd go with the 265's. I'm actually glad I didn't go larger due to the rubbing I got with this set.

I have been running Mickey Thompson Baja Radials on the stock rims in 285/75-R16 for almost 4 years on my 2001 Trac.

This Mickey is compatable with 7 inch rims.

See my profile for pics.

Latest posts