new to me 2003 xlt 4x2. Project no start.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdeadeye1

Reaction score
Hi guys..
Just looking for some advice and or support.
Just Got a nice sport trac but not running.

Charged battery, turned over,, cranks,, but no start. Previous owner told me he thought it needed a fuel pump. (tank is totally full,, so gotta figure out how to drain )

Anyway before i go dropping the tank i wwent to the relays under the hood. I found the fuel pump relay, Well just above that relay are two other relays for the AC. SO i pulled the fuel pump relay, and swapped it with one of the AC relays. Got back in the truck.
I Think i heard the fuel pump buzz. Either that or it was some other electronics. Full tank muffles it more maybe. IDK.

Anyway i go to turn it over and nothing. I have dash lights,, radio etc.. but no click from selonoid,, or starter,, no crank..

So this is my journey ive undertaken. Please stay tuned, especially if youre a whiz with these things. I've had chevys and subarus, but this is my first ford truck. Thanks.

John
Marietta OH

I checked my inertia switch . It was pushed down. i pressed it some.. no change, its down.

I switched the relay in the fuse box with another one. Same problem. Rolls over, no start.
I listen for the Fuel pump to spin up when the key is in the on position.. Nothing. Had a friend put his ear to the gas cap also.

I sprayed starting fluid into the lil snorkel hole in the intake . It starts. Maybe for like 2 seconds.. But it started.

Anything else i should check before dropping the tank and changing the fuel pump out?

Spray more,,,, IF it fires right away, bad fuel pump.... Very common...

I have had my 2003 ST since 2003. I spent the June 2020 working on my Sport Trac, new Schocks, new torshion bar rubber, painted cladding black, painted fron grill guard black, new bug guard, new rear window guard, new ceramic pads and new rotors, replaced defective compass, replaced 3rd brake light, washed and waxed. Within a week of getting going again, I had to replace the fuel pump for the exact same problem. I could start it and run as long as I was spraying starte fluid in it, if not, it stopped. Runs like a champ now.

Attachments

• IMG_4645.JPG
    IMG_4645.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 184
I appreciate the replies. I kinda thought its fuel pump. But it only has 85 k miles on it. But then again its 18 yrs old.

It has a full tank of gas in it. so i gotta figure out how to drop tank. with that much weight in it. Anyone here ever siphon their tank out?

I have another question... different topic. CENTER CONSOLE My center console is the "Soft Pack" one. The middle of the console , the part under where the arm rest SHOULD Be, is gone. The arm rest is broken off.

I plan on replacing / fixing this. SHOULD I / CAN I get a different one out of one from the same years,,, ? Mine doesnt have the rear ac ports behind my arm rest. Im thinking i might like a different console better.

in this you tube vid.. It shows a console i would like to put in mine.
2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac XLT Review - YouTube
at the 7:52 mark

I have the exact console shown in the video on my 2003 ST. Suggest going to a junkyard and pulling one there from a ST. It is somewhat difficult to find ST's in the junkyards but call around.

Havent replaced fuel pump yet. Its on the list. IM looking at a Delphi, from rock auto.

I DID find,,, Just the pump. Not the whole assembly. Its 100 bucks ,, vs the whole assembly at 150.

Am i better off with just the pump or get the whole assembly?

Get the whole assembly. It contains the fuel pressure regulator and well as a new fuel sending unit. Also you need to check and see if you have a single or duel port assembly. Most publications stated I needed the single port and when it came down to it I needed the dual port.

i got my delphi fuel module. It came with a black sealing ring. Its flat.
The original is green and noticably thicker.

The black ring isnt big enough to stay in the groove around the top of the tanks hole. AM i supposed to re use my orignial green sealing ring?

I guess ill call delphi tomorrow. I misplaced the instructions that came with the new pump. Looking all over the house for em. smh. Cant find the instructions on line.

Could just be cheep crap... This is why I use OEM when I can. you could re try the OEM ring, but it may not seal...

Look at the gasket closely and make sure it doesn’t have and cracks or cuts. If it’s still good use some grease on on both sides before you put it together. I normally use Parker O-Lube but you can use whatever grease you laying around.

i called delphi. The tech guy was terrible as far as help. The black ring they sent was not correct it couldnt be. So i called a local parts store and bought one seperately for 12.49. It was green and appears OEM. Not like the black flat one in the delphi kit.

Got home , ac delco filter came . Went to put it on , wouldnt shove in . Went to Napa. got a napa brand one , it worked fine.
Fuel system is all back together.

Changing plugs now.. Driver side plugs. I got the back two in,, having trouble getting the front one started in the hole. No room and cant see. Losing my patience. Came back in the house to look for informative video. I must be retarded.

Changing plugs now.. Driver side plugs. I got the back two in,, having trouble getting the front one started in the hole. No room and cant see. Losing my patience.
Take your time. You can pull the tires off. work thru the inner fender panel hole. Many members have crack the ceramic insulator.

Thanks for the replies guys.

But i think the 1st plug on driver side is "stripped or something" .. cant get it in. may have to try and tap it. back 2 are ok. and are in. so mad right now.

hey sorry jumping in late but just read your post and if your jumping into plugs etc you could have the timing jumped, the plastic timing guided are well known for failure and i had a 03 that would start when ya sprayed starting fluid but only for a few seconds but the higher octane compensates for the firing being off, its not a simple fix but worth doing if thats even the problem, you can play around with the plug wires but its a way to tell, we changed the wires around and sprayed more fluid and it ran for a few more seconds but you could tell it wanted to start easier.

UPDATE:
I went to autozone and bought thread chaser for 11 bucks.

Got home, pulled both wheels so i could see the driver side and i knew the passenger side was needed to be pulled.

I could then see how the driver side plugs were angled toward the front of the vehicle and used the thread chaser by hand i ran it down about half way, and pulled it out. Wiped off all grease and inserted plug by hand with anti seize on plug. Worked fine and threaded it in the rest of the way with wratchet.

Regarding Passenger side. For anyone viewing this in the future. Use a 3/8 breaker bar. the hinge effect of the breaker bar helps sooooo much. You cant get much of a turn with the breaker bar, but at leas you can clear the junk thats in the way.

I got all my plugs in and wires using multiple extentions and wobbles and a 5/8 spark plug socket. I DID NOT use a swivel . Worthless.

3/8 ratchet and super shorty extension, proper spark plug socket. Perfect every time.

just update: Running fine. Everytime.

Only odd things (remember its new to me). When i jump in and turn the key, i have to hit the unlock button on the key fob or it wont start. I guess this is part of anti theft.

2nd . It seems to have a shimi when i turn the wheel at times. Its wierd. I dont think its tie rod ends, as it doesnt do it when traveling in straight line. The Power steering fluid is topped off as it should. Might be tires i guess. It sat for about 2 yrs. Anyway.. thanks for the replies. I think my next project will be painting the plastic lower panels around the outside, and trying to get an 03 full console instead of this "soft pack" console.

CHECK The crank harmonic balancer, the rubber separates and can cause this. ALSO run a 1/2" smaller belt. they are known for slipping. K060860 or K060865 or something like that is just touch smaller.... ALSO replace the belt tensioner.... it should go away.

Latest posts