new to me 2003 xlt 4x2. Project no start.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd . It seems to have a shimi when i turn the wheel at times. Its wierd. I dont think its tie rod ends, as it doesnt do it when traveling in straight line. The Power steering fluid is topped off as it should. Might be tires i guess. It sat for about 2 yrs.
Or the steering was turned with the engine NOT running. Very common when pushing the truck or doing front end work with the tires off the ground. Simple fix to purge air is turn the steering lock to lock repeatedly with the engine running until the shaking subsides.

Tried the 1/2" shorter Gates K060860 Micro-V belt when it was recommended by many years ago. Worked great for a few years then started getting intermittent chirping after cold starts. Removed the belt several times and cleaned with Dawn and a stiff nylon brush. Also cleaned all the pulleys after inspecting and turning them. Quiet for a while but the chirp always returned. Did some research and found a solid following on various Mustang forums for the Goodyear Gatorback 4060865 (now Continental Elite) belt. Found a smokin' deal on eBay for around $17 shipped and haven't had a noise since I installed it. Didn't have the presence of mind to compare lengths, but the Gatorback appears to be about stock length and centered on the belt tensioner mark.

Attachments

• Nzj9CBN.jpg
    Nzj9CBN.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 87
  • VFOaRps.jpg
    VFOaRps.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 88
Steve, The shorter belt I have had for maybe 10 years. Is the Dayton with the serrations across the ribs.
It has been great. No sliping or noise. It is still ptyable and clean. I had it off a few month ago, changing the fan clutch. I'm not sure Dayton makes this version now.