New to this forum

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teamrojasx2

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V6 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
1st Gen Owner
Hello Everyone

My name is Victor. I purchased a 2001 Sport Trac in November and have not had any major incidents or repairs. Knock on wood!!! My Sporty had one owner and they really kept up with the maintenance.. I’m experiencing a lot of little matters that I would like to ask about.. 1. My horn and cruise control are not working. My cruise control light or air bag lights are not lit or flashing as mentioned by other forum members. I replaced the cruise control buttons and ribbon and got nothing.. I presume it’s the clockspring, right? Please let me know. 2. My interior lights ( speedometer, A/C and Heater, instrument cluster and etc)
Are not coming on when I turn on my headlights.. they were working a couple of weeks ago. Please help!!

Thanks
Victor

...purchased a 2001 Sport Trac in November...not had any major incidents or repairs...one owner...kept up with the maintenance...little matters that I would like to ask about...horn and cruise control are not working...cruise control light or air bag lights are not lit or flashing as mentioned by other forum members...replaced the cruise control buttons and ribbon and got nothing...presume it’s the clockspring...interior lights ( speedometer, A/C and Heater, instrument cluster and etc) Are not coming on when I turn on my headlights
Welcome to the Herd; lots of friendly knowlegable folk in these forums!
Do post some pics of your "new" SportTrac; is it a
* Automatic or Manual?
* 2WD or 4WD?
* early 2001 Job1 with the VariableVolume "Pretzel" IntakeManifold, or
later 2001 Job2 with the redesigned StaticVolume IntakeManifold (& other differences)?

I suspect your SteeringWheel Buttons & "ClockSpring" need replacing;
have never had mine apart (knock on wood); there are details on that somewhere in the forums.

Likely need to pull Dash CenterPanel+InstrumentCluster,
clean+tighten ClusterBackFlexCircuitBoard & all Connectors+Grounds+LampSockets & all new Bulbs,
reinsulate that notorious shorting OverDriveToggle 2WireCable going thru SteeringColumn+ShiftLever,
clean+lube Speedo+OdoMeter.
Click here for more info on these items.

Be sure to change the Oil+Filter every 5kMiles\6Mths
& renew the notorious OilPressurized TimingTensioners every 100kMiles\12Years,
to avoid dreaded "DeathRattle" of broken TimingGuides in that V6~4.0L~SOHC Engin.
Click here for more info on the TimingTensioners.

The horn on my 2003 quit a few years ago. Found the connectors right at the horn were badly corroded. One option was to replace the entire assembly, but I was able to repair them with a vinegar bath, elbow grease, and solder. Still working to this day.

I just changed my banner to show my 2001 Sport Trac. When I purchased it in November the front and rear bumpers, the plastic door panels and rack were pretty faded. I decided to paint them. Instead of the stock gray color, I used Matte Black instead. The black paint made my Sporty stand out.

Attachments

• 717C69A2-BAA0-4BD9-9AC9-84847C0C028A.jpeg
    717C69A2-BAA0-4BD9-9AC9-84847C0C028A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • FB183BD7-A59D-4AC6-B5EA-17B44BF76A0D.jpeg
    FB183BD7-A59D-4AC6-B5EA-17B44BF76A0D.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • E2A6DCB3-DA1B-43FB-B896-125A551024A1.jpeg
    E2A6DCB3-DA1B-43FB-B896-125A551024A1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
That's a good lookin' SportTrac!

Last edited: