New tranny?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Gleason

Reaction score
The tranny in my 04 xlt 4.0 2 we just went out. I was towing my trailer, a 2013 14bb that weighs about 3200 pounds. Need a replacement. Shop recommends a Jasper at $3800.the question is, should I do it and keep pulling this trailer or dump the truck and get something different like an f150?I really like this truck but hate to through more money at it if it won’t improve anything. It has an about a year old Jasper rebuilt engine.
Talk to me.

Imo, you have some $$$ in it. If the rest of the Trac is good. Put the crate trans in it. I have an '04 xlt that is in very good condition. My plan to keep it.
Most folks dont believe it is 14 yrs old. IMO, a gen1 Trac in good condition is still very contempary looking. I will drive mine until no parts are available..JMO.....GL

Eddie is right, drive it into the ground . . . I replaced my trany (Dealer), but the same issue maybe starting up again, I found a mod for the problem, its a great truck. I Love Mine.

Eddie is right, drive it into the ground . . . I replaced my trany (Dealer), but the same issue maybe starting up again, I found a mod for the problem, its a great truck. I Love Mine.
I love the truck too and if I just wanted something to drive I'd fix it but I want to tow my trailer and I don't want to keep doing the tranny thing. I just bought an 07 F 150 to tow the trailer, no doubt it'll do the job.

LOL, I was gonna say sell the motor as people are dying for motors and get a bigger truck....

Price it right and it will sell.

Whats right?

Start by looking up the value of the condition as in working condition. Shop around what it would cost to have a shop install a crate trans. Subtract that from the value. If you find interested parties. You may have to accept an offer. Folks that are willing to do the repair, are still going to want a deal.

Latest posts