New wiring harness in steering column

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've got the common issue with the harness coming unplugged when tilting the steering. I have fixed it several times but I could never seem to pull up any slack as others have said you could do. Mine just doesn't have any slack to pull. So it just keeps getting pulled loose. Now I've ended up breaking the plug.

I'm going to just order another harness. My question is how far down into the neck of the steering column does the harness go? Will I be able to replace it easily or am I going to have to tear on down into the dash?

Thanks

Honestly Cant you just cut and extend the wires and leave the broken plug ??? The clips come out of the plug (using a jewelers driver) there is a release tab.. I would pull the wire out, Cut it and solder in an extension..

Todd Z

The clip that keeps the entire plug connected is broke so the whole thing pulls loose. THen on top of that each individual wire will not stay in the plug either...they each pull out and won't stay plugged

When I did mine in my '01 the new plug at the dealer was about 45 bucks I think. It came with about 6" of wire attached to it and also came with heat shrink tubing to fix the wires for good. Was a pretty simple fix.

Here's all you need to fix your issue.

Just FYI, if you ever find a melted/broken connector @ the multifunction switch these wiring pigtails are available from Motorcraft.

2004 Switch Multi Function ................................. 12F........................................ WPT-503

2003-01 Switch Multi Function ............................. 9M ....................................... WPT-611

2001 Switch Multi Function .................................. 7F ........................................ WPT-179

b488437f270e1d24b3325276062386ba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have printed this 2003 Sport Trac Steering Column Wiring Repair guide, but I can't get past page 2 because I can't figure out how to get the top steering column cowl off. Any tips?

Thanks.

Latest posts